Love?

Calum's P.O.V.

I was freaking out on the inside and was trying very hard not to show it. Should I lie and say I don't? I don't know what to do...

"Uhh- I have to go to class," I said, getting up and walking out of the room as fast as I could. Y/N followed me, but I walked faster and the crowds were getting bigger. I quickly looked behind me, she wasn't there. I went outside the school and started walking home. I know it's stupid for a man to run away from his emotions, but I don't want to lose Y/N. As I walked home, I thought what I was going to say to Y/N when I saw her.

"What should I do?" I muttered. I didn't want to lie and say I didn't love her, but I didn't want to tell her I did until I felt she was ready. I really didn't want to lose her. She was special.

I got to my house and got a text from Luke and Michael.

Luke: Why'd you leave? You could've told her.

I left him on read.

Michael: You didn't go to class. Don't avoid her.

I texted him back.

Cal: Why'd you say that? Now I have a chance I'm gonna lose her.

He texted back almost immediately.

Michael: I'm gonna call you, you better answer.

He called and I hesitated, but answered.

"Where are you?" he asked.

"I'm home. Are you in the band room with Y/N?"

"She and Luke went to class. I think you should just tell her," he said.

"She doesn't love me. She'll get uncomfortable and start to avoid me and I don't want that to happen".

"If you would just tell her, she might love you too. I've seen the way she looks at you. She opens up when she's around you. She trusts you and only you. Just tell her".

"You said might, I don't want to take any risks".

"You're whole life is about taking risks, Calum. I life without risks is boring, and believe me, you don't want a boring life. Calum, don't avoid her. Tell her you love her," he said. Before I could say anything, he hung up.

"Mum, Dad, Mali?" I called out. No answer. I saw a note on the countertop in the kitchen written in Mum's handwriting.

We'll be back home at six, we're dropping Mali back off at college. We're going to have a talk about where you were for the past four days when we get back.

"Goddamnit," I cursed to myself. I hated when my parents and I had "a talk". Mum would always lecture me and Dad would just sit on the couch and pretend to listen for an hour.

I went upstairs to my room and grabbed my iPod. Putting on my headphones, I played Green Day and turned the volume all the way up. I collapsed on my bed and slowly fell asleep.

~~~

I woke up to my room instead of Y/N's. It felt a little weird, to be honest. My iPod died so I got up and put it on the charger. I went downstairs and made myself a bowl of cereal. I looked at the clock on the microwave, 12:57 p.m. I went to the living room and decided to watch a movie, Monster's Inc. to be exact.

~~~

I got a text from Y/N about two hours later.

Y/N: Come to the park?

I responded.

Cal: I'm coming.

I got my lazy ass off the couch and started walking to the park. It was about half a mile from where I lived.

When I got there, she was sitting on the swings, looking down at her lap.

"Hey," I said, sitting on the swing next to her.

"Hey," she said, sadly, not looking up at me. We sat in silence for a few minutes, but then she spoke up.

"Umm... m-my mom. She... she died," she said softly.

"I'm so sorry," I said, giving her a hug. She cried on my shoulder, and I just held her. After a few minutes, she pulled away and wiped her tears off her cheeks.

"She died in the hospital when Dad was there. He watched her die... He said all he could do was stand, frozen, in shock. He didn't even cry. I don't understand him. He cried when she was sent into the hospital, he called her family and flew all the way back to see her laying in a bed, unconscious... But after all of that, he decides to come home and act like it's all okay?" she asked.

"Will you be able to go to her funeral?" I asked.

She shook her head, no.

"The funeral is going to be on Sunday. Dad didn't say why he didn't stay, though."

"I need to go, I'll see you on Monday, Cal. I'll bring your stuff too. I'll see you," she said as she walked away, leaving me on the swings.

"I love you," I muttured.