Will Byers || all alone.

He promised to take her to the snowball

He promised to take her to the snowball. Maybe not ever promise can be kept.

It was common for Will to stare off into space, but not in front of a crowd of hundreds of his school peers. The song that was so familiar to him rang through the speakers and he automatically felt empty. It was their song, a song that was played most of the time in the Byers house, and even played while her casket was lowered into the dirt. No emotion, no feeling as Will walked to the centre of the dance floor. And his friends knew of what was happening. They stood in a group on the other side of the room, close to the drink table. Mike looked at Will with sadness and panic. Anything could happen. Anything could happen after the events of the past two years.

"Somebody go find Jonathan," Mike ordered as him and Jane rushed to centre of the crowded room.

Will Byers swayed back and forth by himself, tie hanging loose around his neck, jacket hanging open. He almost looked like what they called him. A zombie boy. Mike and Jane pushed through the crowd to get to the inside circle surrounding the lonely boy. He had declined ever offer to dance by every girl, wanting to be alone for the night. He was supposed to be here with Y/N.

"Will?" Jane stepped forward towards the broken boy. And Will looked up to his friends coming towards him with that coldness in his eyes. Like he was dying. Even more than with that monster infecting him.

Jane opened her arms for a hug, ingulfing him in an instant. And Will sobbed. That pretty blue and pink dress Jane Hopper wore had tears soaking into the sleeve. Mike joined into the hug, wrapping his arms around his best friend and his girlfriend while all three of them swaid back and forth. They couldn't care about the hundreds of kids watching. Will just wanted the thought of her with him in that song. Not soon enough, Jonathan was moving swiftly through the crowd of teens, trying to reach his brother as fast as possible. And the sight he saw broke his heart. His younger brother crying his heart out in his friend's arms. He walked quickly towards the three and peeled Will away from the other two. Will wrapped his arms around his older brother's torso and sobbed more into his expensive jacket that Joyce fought her oldest son over. Jonathan himself, wrapped an arm around his brother's shoulder and the other holding the back of his bowl-cut head.

"Shhh shhh it's okay," Jonathan whispered to his brother.

Will didn't answer but sobbed the lyrics to their song.

"I am a sad boy."

(sorry I keep doing Will Byers imagines. He's just my favourite and deserves the world <3 )