Jonathan Byers || we are young.

Jonathan is a softie

The local Hawkins café was always open late, for the hobos, the drunks or even the gloomy teens that ran away from home for the night. Jonathan Byers wasn't one of those people, yet he sat in one of the leather seats booths, steering the spoon in his coffee more than needed. The high school dance was on this evening and Jonathan needed a distraction from the fact of not having a date. It always hurt. But it was not new for the oldest Byers boy. The bell on the café door annoyed him, but looking up to see Y/N, in her off the shoulder flowing blue dress, he smiled for the first time in a while. Even that huge jacket dangling upon her shoulders looked good on her.

"Did Cinderella get sick of the ball?" he spoke with sarcasm in his voice and a hint of sass.

"Jonathan," she smiled sweetly at him, walking over to sit across from the boy, "what are you doing here?"

"I should be asking you the same thing. What would be so bad about the dance you have to escape to this hole of a place?"

She sighed deeply, "my date, he tried...touching me during the slow dance. Feeling me up and that before I pushed him away," the tears sparkled in her eyes, "and then he slapped me across the face in front of everyone. And I just had to get out of there."

Jonathan placed his hand on top of hers that laid on the cold table.

"You don't belong with someone like him," the tears rolled down her cheeks like a ball on a marble counter, "and anyways, I bet I can make you smile," he stood from the booth, holding a hand out for her to grab.

And she did, gently being lifted from the seat into the comforting presence of Jonathan Byers. Hands placed on her waist after placing her own hands around his neck. The café held calm music, perfect for a slow dance. The tears smeared her mascara down the bottom of her E/C eyes.

"You don't deserve all this pain Miss L/N."

"Neither do you Mr Byers."