ten

It was an hour before Quinn heard anything more from her devil guardian

It was an hour before Quinn heard anything more from her devil guardian. Sitting in the waiting room, she had given up on the idea of seeing him when he finally came waltzing into the room as if he hadn't left her waiting. If she wasn't so utterly terrified of him, maybe she'd have confronted him. The entire world seemed to stand still when he entered, smirking away. The local celebrity had arrived and people were flustered by his presence. And so, she just crossed her arms and waited as he wandered around, shaking hands and smiling as if this was him doing a good deed.

The sight of him sickened Quinn to the core and she was certain that she looked a little green, the man was only hideous in her eyes. She was acutely aware of the fact that Doctor Carlisle Cullen was lingering by the desk, eying the mayor. There was no doubt that the two of them had met, the mayor and the towns best doctor. But Carlisle now had the same look as Charlie, a look of suspicion and a serious lack of trust.

"Quinny" she was just frozen now, staring at him as he approached with a warm smile that only nauseated her. "I'm so glad you're okay" he held out a hand for her to take and her face was stony as she dropped her own hand into his and allowed him to pull her upwards. He was three heads taller than her but as his shadowy eyes glanced down at her, she felt even smaller than that. Standing beside him, her act came crashing down around her and she's left as just a vulnerable girl again. His hand quickly pulled her arm through the loop of his own and guided her toward the front desk. In his own sick and twisted way, Quinn assumed that he did care, but Jensen's version of caring was widely different from the regular person.

"Quinn" turning around curiously, noticing her own name, her blue eyes came into contact with Edward Cullens and he stared at her for a long time. "Can I talk to you?" she was certainly shocked by it, in the two years that she had been in school with the Cullens, none of them had ever even acknowledged her presence. Glancing up at Jensen, he nodded slightly as he swiftly filled out some paperwork. And so she left, the second she was out of his presence, she felt a million times better. Edwards jaw had tightened, his eyes a midnight black that she hadn't noticed before as he stormed off, her following in confusion. "How are you feeling?"

"Better. I suppose I have you to thank for that." they finally stopped in a random corridor and Quinn felt her interest spike as she stared at the tall boy that Bella had such a fascination with.

"Well, I couldn't quite let you die when I had the power to stop it." his eyes scanned over her face and oddly, at that moment, she felt as though he was trying to find a crack in her act, a way in to see the real Quinn O'Connell.

"Right, I don't know exactly what happened Edward, my mind's all a bit fuzzy about it. But I know that Bella has the idea that you played superman today-" he opened his mouth to speak but she continued. "-and I don't care okay? Whatever secret you do or don't have, that's great, I just want to thank you for saving me. You didn't have to."

"Why not Quinn? What makes you think that you're not worth saving. I saw you push Bella away. You chose to save her instead of yourself and I can't work out why you would do that." the way he spoke assured Quinn that somehow, he knew exactly why she did what she did, he just wanted her to say it.

"Maybe I'm just more selfless than people thought? Edward, you have your secrets and I have mine so let's not fool around trying to find out things that neither wants the other to know. Can't you just accept my thank you and go back to never speaking to me again?"

"Quinn, if I thought that that was what you actually wanted, I would gladly leave you to get on with your life. You don't have to pretend to be okay, pretend that you don't need friends." he tried again.

"Edward, seeing as though you're trying to pry into business that doesn't concern you, maybe I should do the same. How exactly is it that you know the things you think you know?" her head tilted, eyes narrowing but despite how angry she pretended to be, a spark of hope lit up in those aqua orbs. Edward Cullen gave her hope that someone, somewhere would save her from this mess.

"If you tell me your secret, I'll tell you mine" he folded his arms, quite confidently because he knew his secret wouldn't get out, she would never outwardly tell him... At least, not yet.

"Quinny" the voice of the devil cut across their conversation and Edwards highly tuned eyes recognised as her shoulders tensed, her body becoming stiff and eyes crinkling in concern. She changed in a way that a normal person wouldn't notice. Quinn O'Connell was so good at fooling humans with her act... Fortunately for her, Edward Cullen was not a human. "Time to go" Jensen placed a hand on her back calmly, there was nothing but innocence in the action but a peek into her mind told a different story as she was wheeled away. Quinn O'Connell was begging for help... while trying her best not to be. "You'll join me in the hot tub tonight, won't you Quinny? You see, it hasn't been used in months. It would be a shame if it went to waste."