Chapter 72 Lorelai and the Nursery

Rory and Logan pulled up at the doctor's building. This was Rory's monthly check-up. They waited in the waiting room longer than they normally did. "We are going to tell him that we went for a sonogram and that we are having a girl?" Rory nodded. "yes" After another 20 minutes, Logan went to the desk to make sure there was not a problem. The receptionist told him that the doctor was running behind. He just returned from the hospital delivering a baby boy.

Logan noticed Paris as he was returning to this seat. She opened the door and motioned for them to come back. "Dr. Boyett just got back from the hospital," Paris said. "Yeah, that's what the receptionist told us," Logan said. "Well, I thought that my nurse could go ahead and get your vitals and blood sample. That way you will not have to wait as long." "Thanks, Paris, that is sweet of you," Rory said. "Don't tell anyone."

By the time they were in the exam room, Dr. Boyett was only a few minutes behind them. "Hello, I'm sorry if I inconvenienced you. Mrs. McConnell couldn't wait until after office hours." Dr. Boyett said with a chuckle. "It's alright," Rory said. "Paris' nurse went ahead and took care of the vitals." "I see," Dr. Boyett said as he looked through Rory's chart. "I also saw on Facebook that you already did a sonogram to find out the gender." "Yes, it was a Valentine present from Logan," Rory said. "Okay. I need to take some measurements" he said as he stood up and put the gel on Rory's baby bump. He turned the machine on, and the baby's heartbeat sounded throughout the room. Logan and Rory both smiled. They could never get tired of hearing it. The doctor pointed out the head and the spine. "Well, it seems everything is right on track. I see that your iron is still low. I think we need to go ahead with the iron tablets. I can give a prescription, or you can get them over the counter." "If you don't mind, I would prefer you write a prescription," Rory said.

On the way home, Rory and Logan were talking about Shira. Logan, I scheduled to sit down with Shira, her lawyers, and a mediator Friday morning. "I have my meeting with the FBI Friday after lunch," Rory said. "I know. I set it up so that they can talk to you and Ricky in one of our conference rooms. Hopefully, I will be finished with Shira by then." "I thought we were going to New Haven to the FBI office there," Rory asked. "I suggested, since you are pregnant, and you and Ricky agreed to this meeting, that it would be more convenient if they met here," Logan said as he smiled at her. Rory nodded her head. She had a smart husband.

Thursday morning after the boys left for school, Lorelai showed up at Logan and Rory's house. Rory heard her knock, but before she could get to the door, she let herself in. "Mom, what are you doing here?" Rory asked. "Do I need an appointment?" Lorelai snapped. She was determined to show Rory that she could help her. She did not need to hire decorators and party planners. "No, you do not need an appointment," Rory said with a smile plastered on her face. Lorelai put the books down on the dining room table. "What have you got there?" Rory asked. "Books, I sent you to Yale, paid all that money, suffered through all those Friday night's dinner and she doesn't know what a book is," Lorelai said with a smile. "Jokes, she got Jokes."

"In these books, it is the baby girl's nursery. I thought we could look through them and pick out the colors and the furniture for the room. Maybe pick out some wallpaper. Luke said he would help Logan put up the wallpaper." Lorelai said. Rory was smiling at her, but she was not sure about all this. She would rather hire someone to put the wallpaper up. She and Logan talked about getting someone to paint a mural on one of the walls.

"Mom, you want a cup of coffee?" Rory thought she would go make a cup of coffee and it would give her time to think. The last thing she wanted to do was upset her mother, but she wanted Logan's input on the nursery. This would probably be the last time he gets to do this. Returning with a cup of coffee for her mother, Rory suggested "Let's go look at the room before we start on looking at the books." Lorelai grabbed her coffee and headed upstairs. "Mom, bring the books. We can sit them in the TV room upstairs." Lorelai grabbed the books and tried to balance her coffee and the books. Rory stopped and took the coffee from her mother. "I'll carry that," Rory said.

While Lorelai was sitting books down, Rory went to her and Logan's bedroom to get a pad to write on. While she was there, she texted Logan. Rory and Lorelai both stood in the room that Rory and Logan picked out to be the nursery. It was one of the smaller rooms but was big enough to hold a twin bed as well as all the nursery items.

Lorelai began walking around the room. She looked in the closet. It was small compared to the other rooms. "Why this room? I know it's close to the master bedroom, but it's small." Lorelai asked. For whatever reason, be it hormones or just Lorelai thinking she was in control, Lorelai questioning her, and Logan's decision is making Rory see red. She was trying not to show it. "We picked this room because it is close to our bedroom, but if you notice, I had a jack and jill bathroom installed in between these two rooms like I did for the boy's room and playroom." "So, you knew you were going to have another baby?" Lorelai asked. She is acting like a 3-year-old. "No, I didn't know I was having another child. I did this so that as the boys grew older, they would have room to spread out." Lorelai nodded. "So, who are you putting in the other room?" Rory wanted to avoid this fight today. "Mom, let's just focus on this room," Rory said as she walked into the room. Lorelai nodded. "I was thinking about the crib here. I saw this perfect crib at Ms. Kim's the other day. You can paint it any color you want." Rory just nodded her head. Her baby was not going to sleep in an antique crib. "And the dresser and changing table here. Do you still have the boys' dressers and changing table?" Lorelai asked. "Yes, they are the dressers they use in their room and the changing table converted to a bookcase. One in the playroom and one in the boys' room." "Oh," was all Lorelai said. "I don't think that would be a good place for the crib. The bed can go there and the crib over here." Rory said moving to the other side of the room. "It is best if the crib is where it can be seen without stepping into the room." Lorelai looked around the room again. "Why are you putting a bed in this room?" "Well, it has been my experience that having a bed in the nursery is great for those nights that you have a sick baby, or if you are having to get up and down all night with a fussy baby. It came in handy in the boy's room while they were still in their cribs."

This went on for a while. Rory would write down the sample numbers that Lorelai was picking out. Lorelai wanted carpet. Rory wanted hardwood floors, like what was already in the room. Lorelai then picked out a pink furry rug to go into the room. Rory wrote it down. When they had finished, Rory had almost a full notepad of ideas. Most of them, she didn't like. But because she didn't want to start a fight with her mother, she wrote them down. She thought maybe in a day or two, she would look over the list. Maybe some of the things that Lorelai wanted would look better.

Rory heard the boys come in. "My boys are home," Rory said as used that as an excuse to go downstairs and forget about the nursery right now.

Lorelai stayed till Logan got home. She played with the boys. They were teaching her to play Mario kart. They thought it was funny that their nana couldn't play. When Ricky got home, he went to the basement to play with the boys. This was normal for them. He wanted to spend as much time with his brothers as he could. He was not aware that Lorelai was with them. He sat and watched. He laughed at them. He had his own game system set up in the pool house. He was scheduled to play Fortnite with some of his buddies online later. He was just going to entertain the boys. He was really waiting for Karson to get home, but he wasn't telling that.