Chapter 6 -Talk with Lorelai

When they got in the jeep, Lorelai called Luke, told him that they were on the way home. Rory asked about the boys. Luke told her they were fine. Sound asleep. After Lorelai hung up, Rory tried to start talking to Lorelai, but she shushed her telling her to wait until they were on the interstate. After a while, Lorelai said, "Okay, I'm going to drive and listen until you finish. So, make this good, because I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Rory took a deep breath, although it hurt, her stomach was sore, and began to tell Lorelai. She told her about how unhappy she was in her marriage to Billy. She asked her mother not to be mad, but she just couldn't tell her at the time. She felt so much like a failure. She explained about Melissa and how the trip to Hawaii was one last try to make her marriage work. She told her mother that she would not change her relationship with Billy because if it was not for him, she would not have Will and Chris. She told her that she loves Billy, but only because he gave her the boys. She further explained that Emily's death was what opened her eyes and she knew she could not be miserable for the rest of her life. She wanted to be happy and she knew that her boy's happiness was important. She did not feel like they could be happy if she was miserable. She told Lorelai about the pregnancy scare and she was afraid to bring another child into her marriage. Then when Emily died, she decided she had enough. With Emily giving her the house, she saw that as a way to be able to move to Hartford and for the boys to start school at Chilton. She knew her marriage was not going to last and felt that this was what was best.

Lorelai interrupted, "I'm sorry Rory, I know you want me to listen to all of this before I speak, but we are almost home and you have not got the part about Logan. When we get home, Luke will be asleep. You go change into your pajamas and check on the boys. I will make some coffee and you can finish this story. Rory, I am sorry you felt that you couldn't tell me about all this while it was happening".

They pulled up in the drive and Lorelai helped Rory out of the jeep. Her ride from Stamford to Stars Hollow had stiffened her up. Lorelai tells Rory that the tow truck driver brought her luggage and put it in the jeep while she was in the ER. She told Rory that Luke would get it out in the morning before he went to the diner.

Lorelai opened the door to a note on the foyer table from Luke:

Hon

The boys are asleep. I have gone to bed. If you need me to help with Rory just wake me up. If not, tell Rory not to worry about the boys in the morning. I will take them with me to the diner. Lane will be working; she can help me look after them. I will be working in the office after the breakfast rush. They can play up there. Tell Rory I love her and am here if she needs me.

Luke

Lorelai took the note and showed it to Rory. She smiled. Luke had always been a better dad to her than Christopher. Not that Christopher didn't love her, he was just Christopher. Even her Grandma Francine had said how she wished Christopher would have been the father to Rory that he was to Gigi. Oh well. She went into her room and changed. She had to go to the kitchen to get her mom to help her. Her nightshirt got hung on the brace on her wrist.

They sat down at the kitchen table with coffee and donuts and Rory continued her story. During the end of her marriage and after, she thought of Logan often. She wondered what could have been. She knew she had missed her chance. She went on to tell Lorelai how she was in the coffee shop waiting on Billy and the boys. She was reading from her Kindle, but her mind had drifted in the fantasy that played over and over in her head. The one where she and Logan are married and living happily with their two boys. She hears the bell ring over the door and looks up and it is Logan entering the coffee shop. As he was ordering, their eyes met and he asked to sit down. They had just begun to talk with Billy and the boys showed up. She introduced them and then Logan left to get back to work. She told her mom that she gave him a business card with her cell number on the back. She explained to her mother that she and Logan had talked on the phone until late in the night. They made plans to meet after her meeting. She told her about the picnic lunch, the long walk and talk, and the carousel ride. She told her mother how the old feeling came back. She told her she didn't think it had ever left. She told her of the gentle kiss goodbye and promised to talk soon. Rory took a deep breath before finishing. Her mother asked if she was okay if maybe they could continue this in the morning. Rory said, "no, I want all this out in the open and I want to answer all your question tonight." Lorelai nodded for her to go on. Rory told of getting on the interstate and calling Logan. She explained that she was hands-free and she and Logan were talking. She wanted to define their relationship. That is when the semi cut in front of her. She told Lorelai that while they were waiting on test results, they finished their talk.

Lorelai got up and refilled both coffee cups. "Rory, are sure about this.? Twelve years have passed. He is different now." Rory said. "I know. He is not a college boy, fresh in the new world. He is a man. I have loved Logan my whole adult life. I want to see where this takes us. I know we still have a lot of talking to do, but mom I'm going to try. I want to be happy like I was before, with Logan."

"Okay. You know I will stand by you. Just please take those precious boys into account when making your decisions."

"Mom, I know I have two boys that need me, I know that they will get attached to Logan easily. I am going to ask for your help along with Luke and Dad. We are going to date. I will introduce him after a few dates as a friend. I will talk with Billy, oh, by the way, Melissa is flying to Australia to be with Billy and they are moving in together when his assignment is over. They are telling the boys at Thanksgiving."

"Well don't drop too much on them at once. They are only 4 years old."

Rory looked at the time. She asked her mom if she knew where her phone was. Lorelai went to the foyer and got her purse. Rory's phone was in it. She had several missed texts from Logan. She smiled when she saw the text. Her mother was watching. Yes, she thinks Rory may be happy this time.

Rory asked Lorelai if there are any questions? Lorelai said, "no go to bed, talk to your man. We will talk tomorrow." Rory got up, kissed her mom on the cheek, went into her bedroom, and shut the door. She was on the phone with Logan before the door closed.