Chapter 12: The beach

Image: Meiji Island Beach

You felt like you hadn't moved in hours, although it was likely only a few minutes. The golden sun crept ever higher into the azure sky above, its soft rays hitting your skin and warming you through. Deciding you couldn't just lay here forever, you sat up slowly, rubbing the sand off you as best you could and got to your feet.

"We should make a fire to dry out." You said, scanning the beach and walking over to retrieve your bag where you found it a few feet away next to Bakugo's cape.

"Right. I'll go get some firewood." He agreed and strode away inland from the beach.

You watched him go, picking up his cape and shaking it free of sand before wring the salt water out of it while taking note of your surroundings. You were on a small beach and you could see the mainland coast out in the distance across the sea. You couldn't believe you'd been swept out all this way; the currents this side of the island must be really strong. That would make it difficult to get back to Hondo Island, especially as Kirishima was nowhere to be seen. 

The fact that Bakugo was here without his dragon, must mean that the red head was still fighting against the giants. You were glad the barbarian had come to your rescue; if he hadn't, you'd be dead right now, still, you felt bad that he'd abandoned his duties for your sake and felt like you were once again in his debt.

While you waited for Bakugo to return, you emptied the contents of your bag. The bread you had bought at Masegaki was now soggy with sea water and not even remotely edible, so you threw it to one side and checked the rest of your things. Your belongings consisted of a thick winter cloak and your boots, two pairs of thick cotton trousers and white shirts both of which were just as wet and unwearable right now, as was your green woolen waistcoat. You laid all your clothing out on the sand to start drying in the sun and dug to the bottom of your bag for the rest of your things.

Aside from your soggy wardrobe, you also had a comb for your hair, a few tiebacks, and a little sack of arrow heads and fletching. You hadn't expected to need the supplies to make more arrows, considering you were only supposed to be going to the capital and back, however, you were glad you'd been prepared now. You had your father to thank for that mentality and the coin purse which you had yet to spend more than a couple of coppers from. Your dad had drilled into you the importance of expecting nothing and preparing for anything, so you had packed accordingly.

The last item in your bag was the one you were looking for; a small, tightly sealed tinder box. Thankfully its contents were still dry so you shouldn't have a problem getting a fire going when the barbarian returned with fire fodder. That only left the issue of food.

You weren't sure what edible flora would be available here or if any of the local fruits could be trusted. You remembered Midoriya trying to identify all the different mushrooms in the Beast's Forest and more than half of the varieties he'd discovered turned out to be poisonous, as did most of the berries. It would be safer to scope the jungle beyond the beach for some small mammals or perhaps you could try your hand at fishing with your bow.