Chapter 35: A Natural

Image: Assassin's village

"We're here." Shinso said quietly breaking you out of your thoughts.

"Hmm?" You said looking around.

This area of the forest didn't look any different than the rest of the woodland you'd just been walking through. You turned to look at Shinso enquiring just where 'here' was, but he simply looked at you, smirking and pointing to the canopy.

You looked up and gasped. Amongst the higher branches of the large old trees was a whole village of wooden huts. The larger buildings were circular in nature and wrapped around the thicker tree trunks; the bark of which had begun to grow around the sloping rooves and sturdy bases helping to anchor them in place. Some smaller structures were built on top of wide suspended platforms, each supported by wooden struts and supporting beams held in place against three or more of the smaller tree trunks. Walkways and rope bridges connected each cluster of buildings and glass orbs filled with candles were hung intermittently along the paths illuminating the leaves above.

Your mouth was hanging open and Shinso snickered.

"How do you get up there?" You finally managed to say.

"There's a couple of hidden ladders, but someone will drop the box lift in a minute, first we need to tend to your horse." He said leading you further away from the treetop village.

Someway out there was a well camouflaged wooden shelter with a sloped roof covered in moss and other foliage. Inside were three stable stalls, two of which were empty.

"Here you can have this one." He pointed to the one on the right. "It looks like Aizawa is still out." He motioned to the other empty stall in the middle.

"You only have two horses for the whole guild?" You questioned.

"Yeah, if we need more than that we borrow some from a breeder in Kamino. He's more than happy to help us out." He said helping you take the bridle and saddle off your horse.

Ensuring there was enough water and hay for the beast, you closed the gate and slung your bag over your shoulder; Following the purple haired boy back the way you came to the suspended village. When you were stood in the middle, Shinso gave a shrill whistle, and a small square platform began descending towards the ground. When it landed, he unfastened a rope from one of the four corner posts allowing you to step on to it in front of him. He climbed on with you and fastened it shut again, signaling to those above to bring you up. You held onto a rope handle hanging in the center and the structure wobbled as you were pulled slowly up into the air.

At the top the lift stopped, and you saw a couple of men who had been cranking a wheeled contraption that seemed to be the device controlling the movement. You were fascinated by the mechanical contraption and wondered what other inventions they must have to live in a place like this. Shinso led you to one of the large circular buildings and stepped inside through a rough wooden door.