Chapter 39: King of the Fire Drakes

Image: Mount Shiyama

His mother returned late that night, she'd visited the five largest neighbouring tribes throughout the day and used her extensive influence and intimidation to ensure their cooperation. The hardest tribe to convince was the one they needed the most.

"Not surprising, Vlad King was reluctant to join us, he's always seen our tribe as his biggest rivals. Luckily, I managed to sway him into allying with us. Being near the sea, he has a fleet of ships and we'd be hard pressed to get our troops to the north in time without those boats." Mitsuki said slumping into a chair in Bakugo's tent, removing the decorative headdress she had worn for the formal visits today.

Katsuki was sat on his bed listening to his mother tell him how the meetings had gone. The three tribes closest to theirs were strong allies and had agreed straight away to fight in a war that his mother deemed worthy of their efforts.

Vald King as she'd explain was much harder, although he was also a man of honor, he generally disliked the fact the Bakugo's held the most power on the island, believing his clan was superior. However, after negotiating a slight shift in territory, allowing Vlad more access to the jungle north of the desert he had agreed to help.

The big surprise was the fifth tribe, the one farthest to the south. The Shindo tribe. This was the tribe that had sent the witch to kill Bakugo's grandfather all those years ago. It turns out their leader had passed away from illness and his young son, Yo Shindo, had taken over the clan.

"He's a very enigmatic young man," Mitsuki told him. "But don't be fooled, he's a sly one. He has honorable intentions I'm sure, but he strikes me as having a naturally devious nature, not unlike his father. He's one to watch in the future, but for now I think we can trust him."

"Anyway, that was the easy part, tomorrow we need to try and convince the Fire Drakes." She sighed and stood up. "We'll set off for Mount Shiyama in the morning. Have the rest of the dragons join us without their riders, their testimony will be paramount."

Bakugo nodded as his mother walked over to the door, "Good night then." She said before leaving.

He sat there for some time after she left, thinking. He wasn't tired enough to sleep having slept most of the day. But he would still need to rest otherwise he wouldn't be alert enough for tomorrow's meeting. He was only a kid the last time he'd seen the king of the fire drakes, when his grandfather had made an alliance with the dragons. He offered them protection in return for a group of younglings to be raised in the tribe as tributes. The idea being to allow each race to learn the others way of life, thus ensuring a lasting bond between the two species.

That was how he'd met Kirishima. Eijiro wasn't a direct descendent of the fire drake's royal bloodline, but he was part of the wider royal family. His parents had been reluctant to give him up to the barbarians, but their king had insisted a fledgling from each rank of the dragon hierarchy be presented, and he did not have any offspring of his own to offer.