Chapter 100: Steam

Mina was in your tent prepping you for the wedding ceremony. You had no idea just how complicated the simple union of two people could be.

Besides all the official proceedings you'd have to follow and the age-old traditions you had to remember, was the fact that until you were wed, you weren't allowed anywhere near his tent or he yours. You hadn't even been allowed to see each other without someone else standing watch since you arrived back at the camp three days ago.

After dragging you away from the feast, Bakugo's father had shown you and your dad to a guest tent on the opposite side of the canyon from Katsuki's. Apparently, this was one of the few extra sleeping quarters that had been erected in preparation for the wedding. There were a number of them set up at the edge of the camp ready for your mainland guests to stay the night. You tried to imagine the likes of Shoto and Momo staying in one of these simple tents and it made you giggle. You hoped they and all your other friends were able to come.

Mina was trying to get your attention again and you shook your head to focus.

"After the elder addresses the crowd, the prince will challenge them to see if anyone will try and take you from him. Of course nobody will, but it has been known to happen before. And then you can make a challenge too if you want, but you don't have to."

"I've already made my challenge and they all ran away." You laughed. "But I still want to get my point across, so I'll challenge them again anyway."

"That's my girl!" Mina cheered, "Assuming nobody accepts your challenges, you then make your vows. Don't worry, it's easy enough to remember and I can help you practice what to say." Your friend put her hands together and a bright smile spread over her face. "Now, about your dress, I heard mainlanders usually wear white, but barbarians can wear whatever colour they want! Personally, I think you should wear pink but-"

"Blue!" You blurted out. "I want to wear blue."

It was silly really, even though your eyes were blue, and it was your favourite colour, you'd never worn anything blue before, so now you were given the choice, that's what you wanted. The pigment used to create blue dye was extremely rare and therefore very expensive. Not something a hunter's wage could afford, not that you'd ever asked your dad for something so selfish before. You were well aware how much your sword had cost him, but that felt like a necessary expense, one which you had certainly put to good use. But something so frivolous as pretty coloured clothing, you couldn't bring yourself to request something like that.

"Blue will be perfect." Your fathers voice behind you made you jump out of your chair.

"Dad! I didn't hear you come in."

Yudai smiled at you and sat down at the table, lazily crossing his arms and legs. "Have you told her about the dance yet?" He asked Mina.

"Not yet, I was just getting to that."

"What dance?" Not another one, you thought.

Dancing with an audience was already embarrassing enough when you weren't the center of attention, but more than that, you were hyper aware that barbarian dancing was a lot more wild and frivolous than mainlander dances, not to mention rather provocative in nature. You'd only ever danced like that with Mina in a non-serious way as she taught you some of her moves. If you hadn't been drunk both times, you weren't sure you would have had the nerve to do it, and you'd still never seen Katsuki get up to dance here. You couldn't even imagine watching him move the way Eijiro and Sero did in the sand, the thought alone made your cheeks flush.

"It's tradition," Your father said, cleaning dirt from under his nails while avoiding your eyes, "for the bride to seduce her husband with a dance before he takes her back to his tent and consummate their marriage."