Chapter 22: Sorrow and Joy

Ida was waiting for you all when you returned from your trip into the city and joined you for dinner. Tonight, you were shown to a small dining room similar to the morning room where you'd had breakfast only a bit more formal, the table was longer and the places were already set with crockery.

"This is where I used to have dinner with my older siblings when my father was too busy to join us." Todoroki told you as you entered the room. He sat at the head of the table and asked you to sit next to him. You accepted, sitting to his left. Bakugo followed you and sat down on your other side.

"I didn't know you had brothers and sisters, I'm afraid my knowledge of the royal family is a bit limited." You confessed.

"Yes, although I am the crown prince, I am in fact the youngest." The prince told you. "I have two older siblings, Fuyumi is my elder sister, she is an incredibly kind woman, and my brother's name is Natsuo. He renounced his title and left the city some time ago, he hates my father, blaming him for what happened to our eldest brother Touya. I believe he joined the royal navy and is currently overseas somewhere."

You were beginning to get the impression that the royal family had a much darker side than anyone in the country really knew.

"What happened to your eldest brother?" You asked curiously.

"He died." The prince said simply, not offering any further explanation other than that. You decided not to pry, Shoto had been so open with everything else he had told you about his family, so the fact that he hadn't elaborated on the subject spoke to his aversion to the subject. So you asked a different question.

"And what about your mother? You said she was from the Ice kingdom?"

"Yes, she was the daughter of the Ice Dragon King before she met my father. Although 'Met' is a strong word, my father sent his army to invade Fuyu Island. He defeated their King, who had been labeled a tyrant and took his daughter as his bride. Not long after that the Dragon King died, and the kingdom fell to ruin."

"So where is she now?" Izuku asked, the whole table was listening in on this tragic tale now.

"I don't know," said Shoto. "My father won't let me see her. Ever since she gave me this scar." He said covering his left eye with his hand. His voice turned bitter after that.

"But it's his fault this happened. He pushed us all too hard to learn his magic. She couldn't take the way he treated us anymore and she snapped. She said my left side reminded her of him and she picked up a teapot and threw the boiling water in my face."

The room fell silent again. Everyone seemed to have lost their appetite after that harrowing tale. You swallowed hard. The prince's past was so different to yours despite having every advantage in life, clearly being a royal did not mean having an easy life or a happy one.

Ida stood up and cleared his throat. "Well now, Ururaka informs me there's a travelling circus in town. I think a nice evening of light entertainment should brighten everyone's spirits! What do you say? Shall we head out?"

"Yes, let's!" You said breathing a sigh of relief and hitching a smile on your face to reassure Todoroki.

-

Bakugo was in a bad mood as you all walked into the huge red and white circus pavilion. There was a buzz of excited chatter in the air and people were crowding around the entrances to get inside, but it wasn't the number of people surrounding him, or the distasteful looks he was receiving from the mainland nobles that had him in a foul mood.

He felt bad for the mainland prince sure, but by airing his family's dirty laundry like that, you were paying much more attention to the capital's prince than you were to him, and he didn't like it. To make matters worse, the two-toned boy kept glancing at him, as if judging his reaction to him stealing your attention. It was taking every ounce of Bakugo's resolve not to punch the royal in the face right now.