Chapter 50: Weakness and Power

When they returned to the Ice Kingdom Castle Dabi took the queen straight to one of the bedrooms. He told the others not to tell Shigaraki about their guest just yet, saying he'd introduce her himself later. First, she needed time to rest and adjust to her new surroundings.

Twice saluted "Not a problem! I'll tell him right now!" He shushed himself and gripped his head in his hands. "No I won't!"

Toga rubbed his shoulder reassuringly; she'd gotten pretty attached to the broken man since they'd gotten here. "Don't worry Dabi, Jin won't spoil the surprise. Will you?"

"Course not! Marry me!" He shouted at her as she led him back down to the room with the fireplace that had become their common area or sorts within the castle. Kurogiri was silent as always, he simply floated along behind the two out of the room leaving Dabi alone with the woman.

He laid her carefully on the bed and covered her with an old dusty blanket. She didn't seem cold despite the lack of heating here, however, this didn't surprise him being who she was. He studied her sleeping face, she'd aged quite a bit since he'd last seen her, new lines had formed on her brow and around her eyes. She didn't look old, more just worn down.

He wrapped himself in a thick woolen cloak trimmed with wolf fur and settled into a chair by her side, waiting for her to wake. The cold air pricked at his exposed skin, his scars felt more brittle in this climate and pulled against the metal fastenings that held him together. If it wasn't for his fire magic, he was sure he wouldn't survive long up here. He slumped down in the chair, ruffling the collar of his cloak up further to cover more of his neck while holding a blue flame in his left hand. He twirled his fingers lazily making the fire flicker and dance to his will when he heard the woman begin to stir.

Rei sighed and her eyes flickered open. She scanned the room as she came too, her grey eyes taking in her surroundings before falling on the man sat beside her. She blinked a couple of times and sat up slowly. Dabi gave her a moment before speaking. She looked out of the window at the white snow filled sky, then back at the dank and dusty room they were in. She clasped the pale blue fabric of the duvet with trembling hands.

"Why have you brought me here?" She said in a steady but quiet voice. She didn't seem scared, just confused.

"I've brought you home, mother." He replied.

At his last word, the queen turned to look at the man next to her again. He had extinguished the cerulean flames he had been playing with and he held her gaze. Her grey eyes drawn to his vibrant blue ones, recognition starting to sink in. She still seemed unsure, not wanting to believe he was who she suspected. So, he decided to undo the spell he had cast on his hair. He chanted a few words and the blackness receded from his roots to his tips, the colour relinquishing its hold on each strand revealing the true white of his heritage.

Rei's eyes widened, and her mouth fell open. "It is you. Touya."

"It's good to see you again, mum."

The lady shuffled closer to him, moving to the edge of the bed where she could reach him. She extended a hand to his cheek, brushing her thin fingers across his scars. Tears began filling her eyes. "Did, did I do this?" She whispered, anguish evident in her voice.

Dabi grabbed her wrist gently and pulled her hand away from his skin, "No, I did this to myself. It's not your fault."

Her lip trembled and the tears that had gathered at the corners of her eyes fell down her cheeks. She clasped her hand over her heart and cupped his chin with the other. "It is my fault; I should have been there for you. For all of you. Shoto..."

Dabi stopped her there, not wanting to hear another word about his younger brother. He pulled both her hands towards him, his warm fingers carefully gripping her slender wrists. "It's not your fault, everything is his fault. He broke all of us. I'm going to make things right again, but I need your help."