Chapter 25: Dark History

Image: the library

Image: the library

Bakugo and Kirishima didn't look at all interested in spending the rest of the day around books, you weren't overly enthralled by the idea either, but at that moment you had no better suggestions, so the three you followed an excited looking Midoriya and Ururaka.

Todoroki led you down the long hallways turning here and there, and finally up a spiral stone staircase at top which the floor levelled out again and you were met with a large ornately carved wooden door. A servant in a crisp blue tunic stood to the side of it and pulled it open with a small bow. You thanked him as you all filed into the room beyond.

Inside was a large circular room with a glass dome ceiling, every wall was stacked floor to ceiling with mahogany bookshelves separated by blue marble pillars. Another spiral staircase twisted around an ornate tree in the center leading to a mezzanine level with yet more bookshelves. The light from the glass panels spilled down into the room, illuminating all the tiny dust particles that were dancing in the shafts of light.

There were a few rolling ladders on each level to access books too high to reach from the floor, and on the ground level was an assortment of reading areas; a couple of large comfortable looking sofas to one side and a few small writing desks were clustered together with straight back chairs suitable for prolonged studying.

Izuku looked up at the tower of books, turning round and walking backwards to take in the sight before him, he collided with the edge of one of the tables in his distracted state and you giggled, typical Izuku. Well at least he'll have fun in here. And it didn't look like he was the only one either, Ochako was just as eager to check out the contents of the room.

"Shoto, do you have a section on spells and mage history? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to study the royal family's private collection, unless of course I somehow make it onto the king's mage council when I complete my studies." She said embarrassed, tapping her index fingers together.

"Is that your aspiration?" Asked Todoroki with genuine interest. Ochako nodded, happy that the prince wasn't instantly dismissing her life's goal. "Sure, we have tons of books on magic and the history of the capital's mage association." He beckoned one of the stoic librarian servants to assist the giddy mage.

"What about you Midoriya? What do you want to look up?" Asked the prince bringing Izuku back to earth.

"Oh, um, i-it's fine, I don't have anything in particular I want to look up, I'll just see what catches my eye." He answered rubbing the back of his neck as a bead of sweat tricked from his hairline.

You looked at the green haired boy you knew so well with a slight frown, he was sweating and looked nervous. He was lying. What was it he really wanted to look for but didn't want the rest of you to know about? You were perplexed. And earlier in the throne room he clearly hadn't told the king the full truth about his time at the temple of All Might. Come to think of it, when he originally told you about his conversation with the druid, he didn't actually tell you why he had ended up there. Sure, it was on the way, but he would have had to turn off the main road in order to climb the hill to the great marble monument. This fact hadn't occurred to you until after you passed the structure on your way back north. What was it that had prompted him to go there at all?