Chapter 77: Together

Endeavour looked around the battlefield, their carefully planned formations had fallen apart, and everything was in chaos. This war was unlike anything he had ever fought before.

When the enemy had appeared on the horizon, he gave the order to charge as was expected. His men ran toward the enemy lines, but they faltered as soon as they were within range. His men were not prepared for what was waiting there for them; the rows of warlock army soldiers descending over the hill consisted of men, women, and even children. All of which were marching steadily towards the front lines, grasping a weapon, and staring forward with unseeing dead eyes. Those who reached the army of walking corpses first stopped, horror stricken, in their tracks. Some even reached out to try and halt the younger children marching towards the troops, but they were the first to die.

The undead army was ruthless. They had no fear and felt no pain; they were simply mindless zombies acting mechanically like marionettes, moving to the will of some invisible puppet-master. After the initial shock of seeing who their foe was, his men eventually pulled themselves together and began attacking the infiri to defend each other from the onslaught, but their weapons were useless against the corpse army. No matter how many times the undead were slain, they got back on their feet and resumed battle. Even those who had lost limbs or heads continued to fight. If they no longer held a weapon, or had a means with which to attack, they would claw instead at the knights' legs and bite at their ankles to hold them in place for another corpse to come and attack.

And as if that wasn't enough, then came the giants. Accompanying Gigantomachia's hordes was a small army of ogres and feral beast folk from the outer reaches of the kingdom, all those who had already rejected Endeavour's rule and had chosen to side with the enemy. The king's army was surrounded on all sides, but all was not yet lost. At least these new arrivals were foes they knew how to handle and were capable of being killed.

Additionally, not too long into the battle, a silver lining appeared bringing with it the hope of a possible victory. Endeavour had finally found the infiri's weakness; he discovered he could repel the corpses with his hell fire magic, the dead couldn't stand the intense red flames and shrunk away from it, and those who didn't, caught fire and crumbled to ashes finally able to find peace from this wretched war. But this revelation was not much use in their current circumstances, he couldn't use the spell at range for fear of hitting his own men who were locked in fervent battle with the warlock's infiri army.

Soon however, reinforcements arrived in the form of their allies from both north and south. Queen Mitsuki flew overhead with her dragon riders, closely followed by the booming footsteps of the giantess Mount Lady and her warriors. And from the north came even more barbarians and dragons, accompanied by the welcome sound of the Heisha commanders' horn announcing the arrival of the green recruits as they charged over the hill in the distance.

Endeavour watched as the dragons overhead quickly began plucking the walking corpses from the ground and roasting them with their fire breath before discarding the charred remains, onto the outer fringes of the battlefield where they finally ceased moving. As he'd suspected, fire was the only thing capable of truly stopping the undead, but as the war waged on, it was clear that the difficulty lay in attacking with flames in such cramped battle conditions, and the enemy was not giving them the chance to spread out or retreat.

"Terrifying, isn't it?" Said a voice behind him. "Our king is a most formidable warlock, and his necromancy spell is the most awe-inspiring thing I've ever seen. I dare say he's the strongest mage of our generation."

Endeavour turned to face the man who was speaking, he was neither corpse nor ogre, nor beast or giant. He was a tall human man, though not as tall as he, and he was dressed rather smartly for a war. He seemed too confident to wear armor, instead sporting a top hat and tails, he wasn't even wielding a weapon. If Endeavour had to hazard a guess, he supposed this must be one of the warlock king's generals.