Chapter 44: Beyond the naked eye

Image: Lake Aki

Image: Lake Aki

You were woken early the next morning; too early. It was still dark outside when Shinso shook your shoulder, rousing you from your dreams. He pressed one finger to his lips asking you to stay quiet and curled his finger to beckon you to the living room once you were ready. The boy was already dressed in his usual assassin's clothes so you guessed you should do the same.

Last night Aizawa had brought you an outfit back from Miss Midnight when he had picked up Eri. It was a tight-fitting black body suit with a black detailed corset round the middle, the fabric was stretchy allowing a wide variety of movement without tearing or getting tort. You'd also been given a sturdy pair of calf high boots made of black leather adorned with many buckles, they looked heavy but were surprisingly light weight. And of course, a hooded black cloak and facemask to match the other assassins in the guild.

The cloak wasn't all that practical for your bow and quiver however, but it was warm. You attached your new dagger harnesses to your legs and waist and put your quiver on your back before donning the cloak and sliding your bow up one shoulder. If you twisted the cloak slightly you could access the arrows over the other shoulder, but it meant that shoulder was exposed, and the weight distribution put you marginally off balance. Perhaps you could alter the cloak and cut a hole in it for better access, but for now, you'd make do.

You stepped out of your room and followed Shinso outside where Tokoyami was waiting for you. "Why are we up so early?" You yawned at the two boys.

Shinso smirked at your gaping mouth as you failed to stifle yet another yawn. Tokoyami stood with his arms folded and his eyes narrowed as normal, expression unreadable. "Revelry in the darkness." He said.

You looked at him confused, cocking your head to one side, as he turned and made his way to the lift taking you all to the forest floor. You looked at Shinso for an answer, but he just shrugged his shoulders and pulled you along with him to follow the raven boy.

"Tsukuyomi, I've been meaning to ask," you said as you followed the boy through the dark trees; you'd gone further than the normal clearing where you were training before. This time you travelled to the edge of the forest where you had a view out over the moonlit Lake Aki. "How is it that you can fly when you don't have wings? I thought I saw some kind of creature carrying you when we rescued Eri, but what was it?"

Tokoyami reached a larger clearing, the edge of which ran up to the banks of the Lake itself. Although it was dark still, the moonlight hitting the water's surface afforded you enough light to see your fellows and the outlying trees clearly enough.

"I'm not just an assassin," said the feathered boy before you, "I'm also have a unique magical ability. My power is conjuring. That creature you saw is called Dark Shadow; he is a being from the shadow realm that I can call upon at will. It has taken me many years to learn how to control him, especially in the dark when he is most powerful."