Chapter 95: New Laws and Old friends

Five days had passed since you arrived back at the palace, and everything was almost ready for Shoto's coronation. All the injured had been healed and sent home to their families, freeing up the palace ballroom ready for the after party. Invitations had been sent out to everyone who was anyone, with special reservations being given to those closest to the royal family. Most of which were you and your friends who were already staying at the palace.

Midoriya and Ochako returned the day before yesterday, and Shoto wasted no time appointing Ochako as a member of the mage council as he promised, while Izuku was offered the post of Royal Advisor. Your friend respectfully declined the position apologizing profusely that he wasn't able to accept. Shoto looked dismayed by his decision but hadn't pressed for an explanation. You of course knew why he couldn't accept the offer. He already held the responsibility given to him by the gods and he couldn't let any personal obligations get in the way of his duties to the people.

As for Shoto, the moment he returned to the palace, he began compiling a roster of all the amendments he wished to make to the kingdom's laws, and he roped you all in to help. He was fully embracing his promise to become a better ruler than his father and his first task in living up to that, was to do away with any outdated laws his father had neglected to change during his leadership, which as it happened, were many.

It soon became apparent that his father had changed very little since the old days and it looked like the current council consisted mainly of old men who had served under his grandfather before him. The only legislation that seemed to have been changed during his father's rein was the abolishment of slavery, which Shoto was surprised but glad to see. However that wasn't nearly enough in his eyes after reading through all the other archaic rules that were still in place.

He asked you and the others to sit down with him again this morning and go over the remaining policies you hadn't managed to get through over the last couple of days along with the other members of his newly formed council. He insisted everyone give him their honest thoughts and opinions on his suggested changes and advise on anything else you thought should be added or amended. You were happy to help, although the task was long and laborious, because you knew it was something that needed to be done. So once again you and the others joined Shoto in the library to read through the mountains of aged paperwork.

Bakugo was deeply immersed in the volumes on military and marital laws. Although he was initially reluctant to get involved with the inner workings of someone else's kingdom, he soon became one of the loudest voices in the room regarding a lot of the policies written out. Today it was "How is it still illegal to train women in combat? Wasn't the king already sending female knights out into battle?!" And "Also, why the hell is it NOT illegal for a man to commit adultery on his wife, but she can be put to death for doing the same thing?! This kingdom is messed up. You need to get your policies straight!"

You too noticed a lot of things that you thought should be changed. Looking over Katsuki's shoulders at the page he was reading you said, "And this one about same sex relationships. I know a lot of people who would be happy for this law to be abolished, not least of which is a certain pair of white-haired beauties..." You added quietly, letting your eyes drift casually across the table to where the lady general was stood holding another pile of papers, hovering behind the chair of princess Fuyumi who had also joined in on the task. Shoto followed your eyes and when he registered what you meant his eyes widened as if seeing the pair for the first time. You chuckled at his revelation and moved on as he made a note.

The princess had been so happy to see you all again, she couldn't stop thanking you all for helping return their mother and even though she was clearly upset over the death of their father, she graciously kept you all company whenever Shoto was too busy with other council matters.