Chapter 24: Audience with the King

Image: The throne room

You had breakfast in the same room as yesterday, only the mood was much lighter this morning as talk turned to the banquet that evening. The mage was talking excitedly about the dresses you were expecting to receive later, discussing what colours and styles you both thought they'd be, you didn't know much about dresses or what shapes there would be to choose from and it was hard to tell from the dummy garments the tailors had made yesterday.

"I know she said pink, but I want to know what shade of pink. I hope it's not too long though; I don't want to trip over the hem while I'm walking. I've never worn a ballgown before."

"I've never actually worn a dress before!" You told the girl, "It's going to feel weird not having my legs covered... What about shoes!? Do you think they'll give us shoes too? If they give us those funny court shoes with raised heels, I'll probably fall over."

Bakugo listened to your worries; he didn't really care what his outfit was going to look like, there was only one thing about the whole banquet he was looking forward to. He'd made the decision to tell you what he had decided last night, and this banquet would be the perfect opportunity to ask you the question that was burning a hole in his head. But first was this audience with the King.

Once everyone had finished eating breakfast, a somber faced servant came to collect everyone. You all followed him down the maze of castle halls to another extravagantly carved double door.

Todoroki hadn't followed, instead he exited the morning room through a different door, his cold eyes meeting Bakugo's briefly before the door closed. Bakugo couldn't interpret the capital prince's expression, but it gave him a bad feeling.

-

The throne room was just as grand as the main entrance hall, a thick burgundy carpet ran down the entire length of the long imposing hall, from the massive wooden doors you'd just walked through to the raised marble dais at the other end. Eight huge red granite pillars dominated each wall, supporting the cavernous roof. In front of each pillar hung a large black sconce which lit the high ceilings overhead and brought yet another mural into sharp relief.

This time the painting depicted the last great war, the one that ended the kingdom of ice to the north. It showed the white dragons being slaughtered by the king's armies and a small number of red dragons who had tried to help. Kirishima was staring up at the image with his fists balled. Bakugo could see his friend shaking with anger, the way his kin were being portrayed in this artwork, as though nothing more than animals, was filling the fire drake with rage. Bakugo already knew he hated the mainlander king after everything he had heard so far, but seeing these images angered him almost as much as it did his dragon.

Together, the six of you walked purposefully towards the dais where the king was sat waiting. The elaborate gilded throne had an ornate gold frame carved with an intricate fire design and was set with red velvet upholstery. The back of the chair was unnecessarily tall and the man sitting slumped in it was surveying everyone in an uninterested manner. He had his chin resting on the knuckles of one fist which was propped up on the arm of his chair and the downward curve of his mouth along with his heavily knitted brows gave the impression he didn't want to be there. Stood on either side of the king were Hawks and Shoto; both wearing blank expressions on their faces with their hands clasped behind their backs.