Chapter 97: Challenge

You'd agonized for ages this morning, trying to decide what you should wear to return home in. Your assassin clothes were in bad shape after the battle, and your thick cape was tattered. You looked at your old hunting clothes; for some reason it didn't feel right to return in the same outfit you left in, you weren't the same person you were back then, and you wanted that to show when you returned to your father.

Decision made, you put on the barbarian clothes Mitsuki had given you and geared up with your sword on your hip and your bow on your back alongside your quiver and bag. Although the quiver was now empty and the blade of your sword was dulled from use, you still felt like you looked the part of a well-travelled warrior. You put the gold and silver bracers on your arms, each representing the two opposing methods of training you had been through. One bold as day used to assist a warrior in combat, the other unassuming but secretly lethal, a quiet tool for work in the shadows.

The assassins blade hidden away in the silver bracer was weighing heavily on your mind. It reminded you of the darkness you had had to face in the north, and it gave you an ill feeling. The blade couldn't be passed off as a tool for any other trade, it had only one purpose, to deliver a swift death. A death you had almost sentenced on the man you loved. So, although it was the only memento you had to remember your mother by, you understood why she left it behind and that in of itself made you proud to be her daughter.

Your friends were gathered just outside the palace gates, waiting to depart on the final leg of your journey. Shoto and the others had come to see you off. Aoyama wasn't there; the noble boy had left quietly with his lover to Toteki's home village somewhere to the north of the mainland, but everyone else had gathered to say their goodbyes.

Kaminari and Jiro both gave you a hug and Kaminari flashed a winning grin, insisting you come back and watch them perform at the capital some time, they were planning on opening a small music theater together. You promised you would, wished them luck and moved down the line to shake Ida's hand next. The proud knight was standing tall, thrusting out his chest to display the badge that told everyone he was the king's personal advisor. He gave you a firm handshake and a very formal farewell, promising that he would be glad to be of assistance should you ever have need to call on him. You thanked him and said you'd be sure to send word if anything came up.

Sato and Koda didn't say all that much, but both gave you a quick hug and wished you luck as you did the same. Next was the king and Miss Yaoyorozu. Momo gave you a warm hug and told you to take care of yourself, you promised you would and then you looked at Shoto. The king looked like he had a lot he wanted to say but was struggling to get the words out.

"Your majesty." You bowed respectfully, knowing he still didn't like people calling him that. "Remember your promise to me, Shoto. Be the best king you can possibly be, and even though I know you'll be busy with affairs of state and all that, be sure to send us a letter every once in a while, okay?"

He nodded. "I will. Tsuki, thank you, for everything. I wouldn't be half the man I am today if it weren't for you. I wish you and prince Bakugo every happiness and promise to send you both an invitation to the wedding." He held out his hand to Momo, who took it, and they shared a soft smile.

You smiled too. "I wouldn't miss it for the world." You said, bowing to him again. "And keep an eye out for a raven from us too." You whispered quietly, winking before moving on to the next two people waiting for you.

"Shinso, don't be a stranger, okay? You're family now, you both are." You leaned in to hug him and your uncle together before stepping back and holding out your left arm. You unclasped the silver assassin blade from your wrist and held it out to Aizawa.

"Thank you for giving me this. It meant a lot to have something that belonged to my mother, even if it was only for a little while. But I understand now why she left it behind and I feel the same way she did." You placed the weapon in his hand and stepped back. "I can't follow the path of an assassin. Life is precious, and I don't want to spend mine taking it from others. I hope you can understand that."