3. Call Me Jessie

The second day of school wasn't much better. Suzy bumped me into the lockers, and I dropped my phone. Which resulted in a crack on the screen. Her crew laughed at my phone and I, as I tried to turn it on. Then, my knight in shining overalls came to my rescue.

"Hey, what's going on here?" The janitor-lady asked, walking up to us.

"Oh, poor Sydney dropped her phone, and I wanted to help. I even offered to buy her a completely new one," Suzy lied, twirling her blonde hair. She does this all the time. Lie to other teachers about what happened, and makes herself a complete angel, and me an evil witch. Which is totally not true. I'm no angel, but better compared to her. I thought this was a losing battle, and I didn't say anything.

Much to my surprise, the woman didn't praise Suzy. She gave her a look, which made Suzy's fake smile falter.

"I saw everything that happened," she spoke in such a strong voice, her accent was stronger, and it made me weak in the knees. I leaned against the wall.

Suzy's smile disappeared, and she had a scared look on her face. The first time I've saw that look. It made me feel good, for once.

"You may think I'm like these other idiots, but I'm not. I see right through you. It's people like you who make me sick. Fake smiling and bullying other people just to be entertained. I hate it. Now, you might want to get to class before I turn you in."

Nobody moved.

"NOW!"

They scurried away, Suzy doing a double-take. I smiled at the woman, who sighed.

"Are you okay, Sydney?" She asked, facing me.

"Yeah. Thanks for that."

"It's nothing. I dislike people like her. So, how's your phone?"

I tried to turn my phone on again, and the screen was all messed up. I couldn't see a thing. I sighed as I slipped it in my pocket.

"It was a birthday present, too," I mumbled.

"Well, give it to me. I have a friend who could fix it, and the crack."

"Oh, no. I couldn't possibly let you go through all that trouble."

"No trouble! They do it for free for me. And, you'll still have everything up there. Trust me, I dropped my phone in the toilet. Don't ask. Please just let me?"

She held her hand out, and I slowly placed my phone in her outstretched hand. She smiled and slid it into a pocket.

"Wow, thanks, uh..."

"Oh, you can call me Jessica."

Such a sweet name for such a sweet person. I smiled at her sheepishly. I seem to always do that when she's around. Can't help that she has this great affect on me.

"You may want to go to class, before you be late again," she smirked, propping herself on one of those giant broom-things.

"What?" I stupidly asked before comprehending what she just said. "Oh, crap! Yeah, I'll see you later, Jessica!"

I ran off just as the late bell rung. The teacher shook his head when he saw my pathetic face at the door, and opened it.

"Late again, Miss Tenner? You must keep your promises if you want to pass this class."

"I'm sorry! My phone dropped and it's completely ruined and, Jes--the janitor," I caught myself, "took it to get fixed. I'm really sorry."

He sighed before opening the door fully and letting me in. The only free seat available was beside Sylvia, and I trudged to the spot. Next time, I need to get here earlier to avoid this. Sylvia turned to me as soon as the teacher started talking.