5. Rescuing My Angel

"Whoa, Sydney! You look happy today!" My sister laughed, catching up to me in the hall at the end of the day.

"Yeah, I'm wonderful! I'm so glad my phone broke!" I dreamily said.

Delilah's face turned serious that instant. "Wait, your phone broke? Why? What happened to it?"

"Oh, Suzy bumped me into the hallway, and it dropped and cracked. It's completely ruined."

We were at my locker so I could get some books for homework tonight (homework on the second day of school???). "But, then my hero came for me."

"Ooh! Who was it? Was it Stephen?" Dee wiggled her eyebrows.

"No, it was not Stephen. It was Jessie."

Dee cocked her head to the side in confusion as I closed my locker door and started walking outside. "Jessie? Who's Jessie?"

Right, I didn't know her name at the time. "Oh, the janitor woman I told you about yesterday. Yeah, she took my phone and said she was going to fix it herself. Well, she knows some person that can. And then she told Suzy and her clan off. Can you believe that? And then I saw her again at lunch. Then we had lunch in her car, and it was magical! We learned a lot about each other, and...oh my gosh I loved every single moment of it."

Delilah smirked at me. "You really like this woman huh?"

"Yeah, but...I may like her more than usual. She's such an angel. Especially to me. I'm glad I fell on the floor yesterday. I may have to actually thank Suzy."

"Yeah. You may want to tell your angel that. She's waiting for you."

Delilah was smiling in a direction, and I turned to look that way. Jessie was leaning against the back of her car, frowning at her phone. I wondered what was wrong with her. She usually has a small smile on her face, or a grin, or something. The frown deeply disturbed me, and I made a beeline to her.

"Hey, Jessie," I said once I got to her.

Jessie looked up, and smiled when she recognized me."Oh, hey, Sydney."

"Are you okay? You looked a little sad."

She shook her head and shrugged. "No, I'm perfectly fine."

Liar. Another talent of mine was being a lie detector. "Don't lie to me, Jessie. There's something wrong. Why aren't you leaving?"

Jessie chuckled at my concern. "Well, I don't get off until 7:45, Sydney. And...somebody slashed my tires. It's nothing really."

"Somebody slashed your tires? Oh, Jessie, that sounds bad. I can come back and give you a lift. I get off at eight. I can come by and pick you up, no biggie."

"Sydney, it's no big deal. I can call a taxi, and--"

"No. I'll be here at eight. End of."

Her smile warmed my insides up. "Thank you, Sydney. So much. You're so sweet."

"It's the least I could do. Nothing compared to what you do to me. FOR me! I meant...for me..."

She giggled at my idiocy. The cutest sound I've ever heard. "Well, see you at eight, Sydney."

"Okay, Jessie."

Jessie bit her bottom lip before heading back to the school. She's the cutest thing ever.

~

Jessie stood outside, hands in her pockets, looking around when I got there. She had this concentrating look on her face, and I smiled at her cuteness. I pullled up in front of her, rolling down the window. "Need a ride?" I joked, since she still hasn't noticed me.

"No, I already--Sydney!" Jessie ran to my car, her big smile on her face. "Don't do that! I actually thought you were someone else!"

"Hop in. We can talk more on the way there."

Still smiling, Jessie got in, and I took off. My small car was nothing compared to hers. It had scratches and streaks and even a dent in the back. The carpet under the driver's seat was torn, but I used that to my advantage by placing some emergency bills under it. Luckily, the seats were leather, so it was cool to the touch. My AC doesn't work, but my heat does in the Winter. Not that I'll need it all that often.

"Thank you, Sydney. You're so sweet to do this for me. How could I ever repay you?"

"Well, you're getting my phone fixed. And you allowed me to eat with you. But, I can't call it even yet. What about your car?"

"My cousin has a tow-truck, and towed it back to my house."

"Why didn't you get a ride from him?"

"I didn't want to stand you up. You came all the way back to school for me. Thank you, again."

Her cool hand was placed on my exposed knee, and I shivered at how nice it felt in contrast to my hot skin. My eyes flickered from the road to her for just a second. She had a loose lock of hair curling by her cheek, her eyes glimmered from the streetlamps outside, and she had an oil smudge on her cheek. And she looked absolutely adorable to me.

I bit my lip as I concentrated on the road. The things she was making me feel were trying to take over my body. I wanted to lean in and kiss her so bad, so I could feel how soft and tender her lips were.

"So, um. Do you know who did it?" I asked, in an attempt to get my mind off of the retarded butterflies in my stomach.

"Yeah, my ex-girlfriend I think. She's always done things like this to my car. I don't know why, though. She's threw a brick in my car from the front windshield, busted out all the lights in the car, and even stole the battery from it once. I don't get it, Sydney."

"She sounds crazy," I commented.

"She was," Jessie confirmed. "She was obssessed with me, Syd. She knitted me sweaters, always gave me food, and wouldn't let anybody near me! Not even my own family!"

"Why'd y'all break up?" I asked, trying so hard not to smile at the nickname she gave me.

"Wasn't my type."

"The whole territory thing was too much, huh?"

"Pretty much. It's been five months since we broke up. Why can't she just move on?"

I glanced at her again. Who would want to move on? Jessie's a freaking goddess! She's very beautiful, inside and outside. "Who could move on from someone as beautiful as you? Look at yourself, Jessie. You're so beautiful and loving. And..."

I stopped what I was saying. I was just complimenting her left and right, saying things that came into my mind. That was a dangerous thing to do, especially since she's older than me, and I'm underaged.

Jessie gazed at me expectantly. "Go on. I like hearing you talk."

"Uh, no. I shouldn't."

It sounded so rude. Even to me! I would have apologized, but then she would have asked me more questions. She removed her hand from my knee, and it took all my willpower to not frown. The car fell silent, Jessie only talking to tell me directions. We arrived to a nice house. It looked pretty and newish. I didn't know janitors could get paid that much.

"Thanks for driving me home," Jessie repeated for the millionth time I've been with her.

"I'm sorry about earlier," I blurted, despite my earlier decision.

Jessie smiled at me again. "Oh, it's okay. I understand."

I smiled back at her. Until she leaned in closer. I quickly shut my eyes afraid, but also a little curious since I didn't tell her to stop. Her soft lips met my cheek for a few seconds before pulling away. She hopped out of the car, and closed the door. I watched her go into her house, my head spinning. She kissed me. On the cheek. This made me look at her a totally different way. Not as a very sweet janitor that I happen to like. As a potential person I want to be with. Need to be with. And I won't take 'no' as an answer.

A/N: I know I've said this plenty of times before, but I thank you people that have voted for this. It's barely fifteen votes, but I'm more than happy with that. ^_^