My Lover | 7. Surprise Visit

The next days following that night, I barely acted as myself. I failed a test I had studied for, I barely spoke to anybody, and I almost lost my job when I almost drove into the building. Worst of all, I still hadn't seen Jessie. So when I was in the shower, I had a great surprise.

As the hot water scalded my neck and my back, I stared into nothingness, memories of the horrible night coming back. And knowing that was a repeat of the night he impregnated me made it all too real. Was I a failure at life? Am I not capable of standing up for myself? Am I not allowed to be happy and carefree with no worries?

All of a sudden, I heard someone call my name from in front of the door. Assuming it was my twin, I told her I was in here. The door opened then closed again, and I heard her say, "Oh, Sydney."

But it wasn't Delilah.

I quickly turned the shower off, my heart racing. I stuck my hand out the shower, waving it around for my towel. Then I saw it in front of me, a pale hand on the other side of it. I grabbed the towel, purposely brushing our hands together while I did it. Just the simple action sent shivers down my spine, and the urge to see her grew stronger. I quickly wrapped the towel around myself and stepped out of the shower.

Jessie sat on the toilet, lid-down. When she saw me, her face grew red rather rapidly and she hopped up from the toilet.

"Syd, I'm so sorry. I don't know what I was thinking, and--"

"Jess, relax. We're both girls."

Jessie still shielded her eyes from me. I internally sighed before starting to dry off.

"Why have you been ignoring me?" She mumbled.

"I had to, Jess. And you would stay away from me if you know what's good for you," I insisted, starting to freshen myself up.

"Huh? Sydney, it's hard enough to pretend to not have any of the old feelings towards you. Now I have to stay away, and risk our friendship?"

What?! She still has feelings for me. She admitted she does. Katy was right, as always.

"Jessie, it's not any easier for me, either," I firmly said, wrapping the towel back around my body. "You can look now."

Jessie slowly turned to me. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I can't tell you." I reached past her and opened the door, proceeding to the master bedroom. I could hear her following me and her presence.

"And that's supposed to mean...?"

"Jessie, I just can't!"

More than anything I wanted to tell her, but I was scared of her reaction. Would she be mad and hunt Stephen down? Would she give up talking to me?

The door closed, and I sighed when I saw Jessie pressed against the closed door. She looked determined about getting that answer out of me.

"You're not leaving until you tell me," she stated.

She may have thought she won, but little did she know she was far from wining. I simply shrugged. "Fine."

Then I dropped my towel, getting a gasp out of Jessie. I started to dress myself, making no effort to speed up the pace. Or make Jessie less comfortable. If she's too stubborn to act like her old self and have me, then I'll just show her what she's missing.

All I had to put on was my shirt when Jessie walked up to me. My first thought was that her common sense came back to her, but it vanished when she grabbed my wrist and held up my arm. A huge bruise I had forgot about occupied about one-fifth of my arm. Her eyes went from my arm to my eyes.

"Explain," she said softly, but full of authority.

"I...fell?" I tried, attempting to yank my arm away.

"I'm not stupid, Sydney. Did he do this to you?"

"I highly doubt this concerns you, Jessie," I said with a slight attitude.

"Oh, I am sure this concerns me. Remember, you're my responsibility."

"How? As far as I remember, I don't belong to you," I shot back.

"Who was your first everything? Who stole your heart? Huh? Tell me, Syd."

My mouth opened, but I was speechless. The beautiful woman in front of me wore a smirk, as if daring me to continue this debate. I chose to stay quiet.

"That's what I thought. I'll see you."

She started walking away, but I called out to her. Jessie looked at me expectantly.

"Next week is Stephen's business trip. Time?"

"I'll pick you up."

"After ten. I have work."

Jessie nodded before leaving the room. Faint traces of her scent was still here. I couldn't wait until next week to see her again. And to actually spend the night with her seemed surreal.