6. Surprise At Olive Garden

A week of school has passed, and it was honsestly the best one I've ever had. Why? Because of one specific person. Jessie.

She got my phone fixed. She'd invite me to eat lunch in her car. We learned more about each other. She's the reason for my constant smiling. I've finally learned to deal with my crush on her. It won't leave, no matter how much I will it to. I try to point out all the negative things about her, but it just doesn't work. Usually, these things would be a deal-breaker for most people. But not for me.

Jessie's clumsy when she's not really working. But, even when she is working, she's still clumsy. And that makes her look so darn adorable. The way she blushes and studders an apology for it makes me smile. Jessie has a "dominant"...thing. She's just so in control a lot, and so demanding, and makes me do things I don't normally do. She gives me things, and makes me keep them. And how she says "I got it" all the time is so weird. It makes her ten times hotter. And Jessie is a janitor. Not a job most people would like or like to find in a girl. But, I get to see her everyday.

So, there aren't any true negatives for my situation. I love everything about her, I even love thinking about her. That's how much I like her. Ever since that peck on the cheek, I just need her around me.

Now, it's Saturday. And I can't see Jessie. All I have to look forward to is my job as a waitress at Olive Garden, along with my sister.

"SYDNEY!" Delilah yelled from downstairs.

"YES?" I called back in equal volume.

"SYLVIA'S HERE FOR YOU!"

Sylvia's here? The one who basically replaced me with some guy friend? The one who I avoided all week because it was clear we weren't friends anymore? That Sylvia? I wonder what she wanted.

Sylvia gave me a small smile when I opened the front door. I shot her a quick one back.

"Hi, Sylvia," I said.

"Hi, Sydney."

We stood there for a minute, not saying anything. Extreme awkwardness.

"Erm, why are you here?" I hesitantly asked.

"To see you, silly! Now, let me in. It's hot out here."

Obeying, I opened the door wider, and Sylvia slid inside the cool house.

"Thanks, girl. So, upstairs?" She was already climbing the stairs, so why not? I followed her until we got into my room, where I closed the door.

Sylvia was already on my bed, on her phone. Probably texting Brandon.

"So, are you getting Brandon anything for his birthday?" Sylvia randomly asked me.

"What?"

"I said--"

"I know what you said. Why would I give him anything for his birthday? I'm not friends with him! I barely even know him! You know I don't give gifts to strangers!"

"He's not a stranger! He's a friend--"

"Yeah, your friend. Not mine. I'm getting him nothing."

Okay, I sound like a cold, heartless woman, but it's the truth. I don't give free things to people I don't know.

Sylvia narrowed her eyes at me. "I bet you would if it was that janitor lady."

Okay, that was not fair. Jessie had no relation to this discussion whatsoever. So, she shouldn't even be mentioned. "Sylvia--"

"Who is she anyways? Your cousin? Aunt? Girlfriend?"

"None of your business. Don't talk about her. She's done nothing to you." I sat, criss-crossed, in a chair. Away from Sylvia. Who was she to just come in like she's still welcomed, and insult my freakin' crush, and act like nothing's wrong?