Akutagawa x Reader

They say a little healthy competition is good for you and even encouraged. Well, what about toxic rivalry? A feud so destructive and venomous it could actually bind enemies as tightly as lovers. Oh, there was absolutely nothing healthy between Akutagawa and I. Our hatred ran deeper than any bond, weaving inside our minds with a burning intensity. You could even call it a type of passion.

"Will you shut your mouth for once?!" He was way more agitated today for some unknown reason. It made it much more fun to tease him. He should know by now that I wouldn't give him a break just because he was cranky.

"Shut my mouth? You sure you don't want it wide open just for you?" I cooed. He whipped around to face me at that one. Apparently innuendos weren't floating his boat. His face wasn't even flushed like it would do with my jokes on any other day. Something was bothering him as he narrowed his eyes at me and got in my face. A finger jabbed my chest accusingly.

"You act like you can do and say anything you want," he seethed through clenched teeth. I scoffed at that, a smirk stretching across my face as my arms crossed to block my chest from his annoying pokes.

"That's because I can do and say anything I want. No one's stopped me yet, you wanna give it a go?" I taunted. Teasing him was starting to get less fun and it would end with a screaming match for sure.

We seemed to always do this. It would be all snarky comments and rude gestures until someone made it personal, only this time I didn't understand what the hell I had done. Akutagawa only got closer.

"You're nothing but a spoiled prince. You don't get your hands dirty but instead laze around and make others do things for you. What the hell are you doing in a place like this?" His tone was cold and struck me like a dagger. I looked him dead in the eye, realizing that he knew that he had crossed the line of my boundary and was continuing to do it anyway.

"Fuck you, you know exactly why I'm here." And he did. The thing with enemies is you know them, you find out anything and everything about them. "And what the hell are you attacking me for? It's not my fault if Dazai told you he doesn't want anything to do with you," I spat.

Akutagawa's hands clenched by his sides. My body tensed, prepared for a punch or an attack from his ability. I wasn't going to take it back or apologize when he was clearly looking for a fight.

"I could care less about Dazai," he hissed, though there was a flicker of something in his expression for only a moment. I rolled my eyes, my hands grabbing his wrists to keep him from storming off, we were finishing this. He yanked back desperately to no avail, panic seeping into his eyes.

"That's a lie and you know it. You're always trailing after Dazai like some sick puppy, practically panting and begging for his approval. It's revolting to watch so don't come at me like I'm the pathetic one here!" I yelled, the screaming match about to begin. I was sick of it, sick of him and every nasty comment he threw at me.

Akutagawa swallowed hard, his lips twitching at the corner. His voice was barely a whisper. "You're clueless."

The rivalry between him and I had binded us closely for years but this was the first time I began to question our roles in it as Akutagawa leaned in ever closer and tore my world apart. I guess I really must have been clueless because never in a million years have I ever thought that we would be standing here, lips connected and angry passion simmering into a new, strange fire.

His mouth was soft against mine as his hair skimmed my face. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't imagined situations similar to this one. Its sweetness quickly fell away to a more malicious intent. It truly felt like kissing an enemy. My hands released his wrists as I spun us around, slamming his back into the nearby wall.

There was tragedy in every push, desperation on the tips of our tongues, a deep sorrowful longing mixing with our breath. Every word shot at each other, just a way to defend ourselves against the inevitable. It's strange that after years and years of supposed hatred we could land here, suffocating in the truth.

I pulled away to catch my breath, Akutagawa panting as well. My forehead pressed against his with our noses just barely touching. He was the first to speak.

"It was never about Dazai," he whispered, his voice hoarse and filling me with satisfaction that I was the one who caused it. My lips met his again, slower this time, hoping to create a feeling of affection rather than aggression. I could practically feel him swoon. His hands reached up to my face, fingers tracing my cheeks and sliding into my hair.

I wasn't sure where this would lead. The only thing I was certain of; I'm not letting anyone else get to Akutagawa like this or any other way. May our enemies to lovers trope begin for all I cared.