Kunikida x Reader

Thanks @Almighty_Ajax for the request!
———

Nothing like being overstimulated to start my day. I hummed to myself, making my trilling sounds as I walked into the ADA office. This place was usually chaotic and loud and on most days I could handle it near perfectly but maybe it was just the way I woke up that made me start feeling itchy as I walked to my desk.

Sitting back in my chair to start filing paperwork, I immediately felt jumpy. My leg rocked and my foot twitched as I tried to get comfortable. Except the stupid chair was leather and made the worst squeaking noise with each adjustment I tried to make. It felt like someone was tugging on my spine with how much I hated this spot right now.

When I couldn't handle it anymore, I anxiously stood up, taking a deep breath to calm myself. I could do this, I would be fine. It was just sounds and texture, nothing else. Except there was no way in hell I was sitting back in that devil chair as I scooped up my paperwork files to move to Kunikida's office.

I managed to knock on the doorway before entering, hearing him call out that I could come in. When I opened the door, he immediately sprang up from his own chair to help me carry my workload to his own desk. I saw a chair on the other side of his desk and instantly sat down with a sigh when it didn't make any squeaky sounds and was soft. My fingers mindlessly scratched at the material as I took a deep breath.

"You alright y/n?" Kunikida asked softly, watching me with keen eyes before he sat in his own chair that also wasn't leather. Why the hell was I stuck with a leather chair in my office then? Make it make sense. I leaned back as I started opening files with a shaky exhale.

"Yeah I'm good. I think I just needed a change in scenery for a bit," I mumbled. "Is it alright if I work in here instead, please?" I asked quietly. He let out a soft chuckle as he looked at me sweetly. My face warmed with his smile as I glanced away a bit bashfully.

"Of course you can y/n. And let me know if something else starts getting to you. It's okay to not be okay with something," he assured me. My heartbeat went crazy as I slid down in my chair, a bit flustered. This was why I liked Kunikida so much. He knew I had problems with certain sounds and textures and lights and he always made sure to look after me with no judgment. He was probably the perfect guy.

"You're the best Kunikida," I whispered before going through my files. I started filling out some signatures of approval and sorting them into piles for Fukuzawa to go over and cases for Ranpo to take a glance at. I made it a whole thirty minutes before the door opened and good ol' Dazai waltzed in with the scariest smirk on his face ever. I didn't necessarily have a problem with him but he always had chaotic energy and I didn't have the strength to put up with it today.

"Hello Kunikida! Oh and y/n! You sneaky dogs," Dazai cooed with a wink. I slapped a hand over my face in embarrassment, flustered easily from my distress of earlier still bugging me. Kunikida glanced at me as if asking if I'd be alright. I gave him a minuscule nod as I tried to focus on my work again, doing my best to ignore Dazai, even when he started tapping his fingers on the desk.

"What do you want, Dazai?" Kunikida asked professionally as I tried not to wince with each tap Dazai made on the desk. It was so loud and it didn't even tap consistently. It was shaky and random and made my heartbeat thrum. It was like the sound was triggering my fight or flight instincts without my approval as I took a deep breath to steady myself.

"I was just wondering if you have file #775 here. I need it for my client," he asked, his fingers tapping faster as I gripped my pen harder. It was too loud for being such a small thing. I felt my body squirm a bit in discomfort as I shakily moved through my files. Kunikida must've noticed my behavior as he reached out and stopped Dazai's tapping. Dazai looked at him confused before glancing back at me as I let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh...sorry y/n," he mumbled, with an apologetic nod as I handed him the file he asked for. I merely shrugged. It wasn't a big deal after all, just an inconvenience that he didn't realize was happening.

"You're good," I whispered with a smile, trying to get the sound of the tapping out of my head. He gave me another nod as he took the file and left the office. I sank back into the seat, my fingers pinching the bridge of my nose in exhaustion.

"Thanks Kunikida," I mumbled, before making small trilling noises to calm myself.

"How about we go to the library down the street? It's quiet there and everything is a bit calmer," Kunikida whispered with a kind smile. I grinned back in gratitude as I nodded. He stood before placing his hand out. It wasn't a pushy gesture and I knew that if I told him I wasn't ready for it that he would respect my decision. But I was fine as I interlaced our fingers together. It felt calming and his skin was smooth on mine, a sensation I actually enjoyed.