Chuuya x Reader

Thanks @kazuwuq for the request!
———
‼️su!c!de, death‼️ (don't push yourself to read something that's going to hurt in a bad way)
———

Anticipation throbbed through my chest as the wind whipped around my body. Shivering, I wrapped my jacket around myself tighter but it didn't ease the small prickle of anxiety trying to change my mind. It was too late to turn back now as I peered over the edge of the building. The street far below beckoned for me to join it and soon enough I would.

"Are you ready? If we wait too long someone might find us," Chuuya muttered darkly by my side. An exhausted sigh slid past my lips as I glanced at him. At first when I had suggested a double suicide, I had meant it as an overall joke but Chuuya had perked up at the idea a little too quickly. It turns out it wasn't just me tired of this existence spent in gutters and alleyways with far too much blood on my hands.

"It's a long way down. Do you think we'll pass out before we reach the bottom?" I asked quietly, tilting my head down to gawk at the distance. I felt Chuuya look over the edge as well, his shoulder brushing against mine as he grunted quietly. I wonder if he was anticipating this as much as I was.

"Possibly. It's a pretty far distance to fall and the adrenaline will get to us for sure," he stated nonchalantly as if he jumped off buildings with other boys all the time. With his ability, it could've been true. A prickle of unease sparked at the nape of my neck. It hadn't occurred to me that Chuuya could be lying about jumping, able to activate his ability at the end to save himself. I shuddered at the thought of dying alone but I also wasn't going back to my old life. It was finally time.

That first step onto the ledge filled my stomach with butterflies, the wind threatening to push me off. I stood firm though, not letting anyone else end my life other than me. I was owed this and no one was going to take it away from me, not even a greater force of nature.

"Y'know, even though everything else has pushed me this far, it was nice knowing you," I nodded to Chuuya who now stood by me, the toes of his boots tipping off the edge of the building. A small part of me wanted to push him away from the ledge but that's not what we were here for. We didn't want to be saved, not even from each other.

"It was nice knowing you too," Chuuya nodded with a small spark of life in his eyes before the fire was doused quickly by the winds surrounding our death attempt. Shuddering, I looked over the side with a strong desire for better luck in my next life because someone had managed to screw this one over.

Chuuya must've sensed my small unease as his hand reached out to entwine with mine firmly. Casting an appreciative glance his way, he nodded back with equal vigor. Counting back from ten in my head, I said a silent prayer before tilting forward with the world tumbling away.

Wind roared in my ears like an unleashed beast that refused to rest as my eyes squeezed tight against the stinging sensation. Arms wrapped around my body as Chuuya clung to me, my own hands locked around him as well as if he was the savior I had needed all those years ago. A sudden pain in my chest made me move my lips to his ear, shouting just loud enough to be heard over the rushing air.

"I love you." I wasn't sure at first if Chuuya had heard me but the sudden squeeze to my body told me he had. An aching longing spread through my body at the life I could've lived if things hadn't gotten so out of control. Perhaps Chuuya could've kept me from ever getting to this point.

Wooziness took hold of me as I became light headed. Gratification filled me that I wouldn't be conscious when I died, passing out before I passed away. It was going to be an altogether peaceful way to go and with Chuuya in my arms, I felt the last spark of happiness I'd ever have right as the spinning world went dark.

~~~

Chuuya POV

"I love you too!" Sitting straight up, I reached out for the boy I had been holding on to what felt like only moments before. By the pounding in my head and the bright lights around me, I instantly tensed up in disbelief and horror. I hadn't died.

Looking around me, I realized I was in a hospital room alone and pulsing with pain. My head was wrapped tight and other bandages adorned my body as I tossed aside the blanket to inspect myself and demand answers for why I hadn't been left to die.

"You should lay back, you still need to heal," a familiar voice soothed gently but it wasn't the voice I suddenly wanted to hear. If I'd survived, y/n must've too. Worst case, we'd have to try this all over again with a taller building. Dazai didn't let me stand though as he grabbed my shoulders firmly, easing me back against the pillow of the hospital bed.

"Where's y/n? I need to see him. He shouldn't be alone," I rambled in a slurred tone. There was a beat of silence that made my pulse quicken in panic. The mournful expression on Dazai's face wasn't helping my newfound terror as I began to tremble. He opened his mouth to reply but I couldn't hear a word he said as I sank back into the bed, grief and an aching pain curling inside me as tears rolled down my face.

"Y/n didn't make it. Your ability kept you alive at the last second but it didn't spare him. We're holding a service...". I zoned out as Dazai talked on, my head shaking between denial and harsh heartbreak. Suffocating in anguish, I began to sob. He had died alone while I had survived because of my damn ability interfering. It hurt far worse than anything else had ever in my life.

"Please no. It wasn't supposed to be like this. Y/n...oh god," I cried out, wanting to scream but not being able to handle anything more than shouts of hatred and agony. I wanted to drown in my tears or suffocate in my heartache but it was clear that I wouldn't be able to die anytime soon. Not like y/n had.