Atsushi x Reader

Thanks @xXHailSNailXx for the request!
———

"Don't hurt him, please!"

"That's not for you to decide. In fact I'd be more worried with yourself."

My brain was becoming fuzzy as the world tilted precariously. My feet stumbled for purchase on the ground but someone was holding me tightly. I couldn't register what was happening but only recognized the screaming sensation of my lungs as I tried to breathe without luck.

Whatever was happening to me made me light headed and weak in this stranger's arms. The voice I was hearing before called out in a panic but I just couldn't put a name to it. It was so familiar it hurt but not as much as the burning feeling clawing up my throat. I was only aware of one thing before I passed out: I needed water.

~~~

When I came around after what felt like hours of troubled sleep, I was instantly aware of some sort of contraption wrapped around my head. I tried to shake my head at the uncomfortable prodding of the strange object to no avail. Trying to bring my hands up to rip off the unfortunate intrusion, I found that my arms were tied behind my back as well.

Panic surged through me as I fully awoke, head snapping up as my eyes widened to take in my surroundings. My memories were sluggish as I tried to remember what had happened but all I could recall was a painful blow to my head and a burning itch for water. There was something else though. Atsushi.

My shoulders tensed as everything rushed back to me. We had been trying to escape but were stopped by Fitzgerald and some other stranger that had found a way to knock me out. At the time I had been suffocating after going too long without water but now it seems that whoever had taken me here and tied me up had left me with enough of it to not let me die just yet. I took a shaky breath of water that was moving through a tube into my mouth, the tube connected to a container nearby that was uncomfortably small. It was clear I wasn't meant to be kept alive here long.

Squirming in my restraints, I tried to feel what kind of lock was keeping my hands stuck together but couldn't figure it out no matter how much I twisted and turned. I also had to be careful to make sure I didn't knock over the container of water. It was the only thing that worried me about my survival. I was strong and quick but I could only breathe water. My stupid ability made sure of that and there was no fixing it. At least when the water ran out, I could still last about an hour but it was usually an uncomfortable sensation.

Tilting my head back, I leaned against my prison wall in exhaustion. I had to focus on using small breaths if I wanted to survive this. I wasn't sure what Fitzgerald wanted with me but it obviously wasn't for anything good. From the time restriction put on my life, I was starting to realize I wasn't the target but the bait. Sick irony and an even sicker situation.

~~~

Atsushi POV

Running through the Moby Dick, I had no time to waste if I wanted to get him back in time. Fitzgerald was a monster for dangling y/n's life in the mix, giving me an ultimatum and deadline for when his water would run out and he'd be left to suffocate until he died. I couldn't let that happen, not to someone as wonderful as him.

My heartbeat was pounding against my chest painfully as I turned down the twisting hallways and through the vast maze of the flying ship. It wasn't only his life in play either but a whole city's. There was just too much to do and not enough time to even construct a plan. For now I was doing the selfish thing and going after y/n first.

"Y/n! Can you hear me?" I shouted out, not caring who else heard when I was desperate to get to him. There was too little time till his water was cut off. He could only last so long without breathing and that was assuming Fitzgerald hadn't been lying about the timing. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something happened to him and I was helpless against it.

"Please! Y/n, where are you?!" I began to plead nearly hysterically. I couldn't lose him. I loved him far too much and hadn't even been able to tell him yet. This couldn't be the end for us before we even began. I would tear this ship apart to get to him if I needed to. For now, I was all alone in my search for the brightest light in my life.

There came a sudden echo down the hallway right as I was about to despair. The sound was faint but definitely there as I switched directions to follow it with hope guiding my every movement. Another thud cut through the steady thrum of the Moby Dick as I called out again, the sounds growing more frantic the more I shouted.

I ended up in front of a normal door, the cream color looking deceiving as I grabbed the doorknob. It'd be a door I'd easily ignore because it wasn't at all obvious. The thudding on the other side went quiet as I threw open the door in fear for what I might or might not find.

My eyes instantly found familiar ones in the darkened lighting, relief untensing my muscles as I rushed towards y/n. He leaned against one of the walls wearily, his head barely lifting as I crouched down to cut through his restraints with my claws.

As soon as I freed his hands, his arms raised to pull me into a hug. His heartbeat was slow against mine, alerting me to the problem still at hand as I gently pushed him at arm's length. I could see the weakness in his eyes as I looked at the tube connected to his mouth. There was no water pumping through it.

Fear coursed through my veins as I looked around the room in a daze, searching for any sort of liquid that would work. Looking around every nook and cranny, I finally found a tossed aside water bottle that still was over halfway full. It wasn't as much as he needed but it would work until we found more water for him.

Crouching back down beside him, I urged him to lean back as I trickled some water into his mouth and past his chapped lips. I could see the exact moment life sparked back in his eyes as he closed his eyes in clear bliss. I tossed the empty bottle somewhere behind me, grabbing his hands to gently hold between us as he took a few small breaths.

"Thank you so much Atsushi," he whispered hoarsely, leaning against me as he put his head on my shoulder. I felt butterflies erupt in my stomach in response to his contact, holding him close to me again in relief for his survival. It wasn't over yet though which terrified me. I finally got y/n back but there was still too much time left to lose him.

"I couldn't let you die," I whispered back lovingly, moving my forehead to rest against his. His shoulders tensed up as his face heated against mine. If he figured out my confession somewhere in there, he didn't mention it as we caught our breath together, hoping that this was already over.