Nikolai x Reader

Thanks @-N1K0LAI for the request!
———

I took my job seriously and with pride. To be a hunting dog was the highest of honors and I strived to complete any of my missions with perfection. Justice was how I ruled and dealt out my own kind of violence but I've also been known to show mercy, something Jouno definitely despised about me. Staring at the flowers floating in the air in front of me, I was starting to see why.

I quickly yanked the flowers out of the air, panicking that someone might've seen it. A hand now waved out of thin air, a clear sign that Nikolai was behind this as usual. I told him we had to be discreet if we wanted this to work with our circumstances but he also loved living on the edge and he loved making flowers appear out of nowhere to give me. Sweet but also dangerous.

"Get out of here," I hissed, slapping the levitating hand while checking over my shoulder. Luckily, no one was out here to witness the strangeness of a glowing whirlpool hovering in the air with a hand protruding from it. If any of the other hunting dogs found me here, I would surely be killed for treason and who knows how Nikolai would react to that. I could take a guess that it wouldn't be pretty. The hand gave me a final wave before vanishing along with the glowing portal.

Biting my lip to keep from cursing, I hugged the bouquet of flowers closer to my chest. We've even already talked about this but he didn't listen very well, clinging to his stubborn affectionate gestures that managed to make my face warm every time despite my fear of being caught. It was honestly sweet even though he was jeopardizing everything between us when he did it.

The next few days weren't any different, random bouquets suddenly materializing in the air. He never fully walked through the portals, only his hand giving the flowers to me before either shaking my hand tenderly or waving cheerfully. It was like he was sending a message and I was starting to guess what it was. It's been a bit of time since we were face to face due to my growing list of missions that kept me away from him and he's known to be needy for affection of his own so this was his way of reaching out to me in the only way he could.

I was beginning to become fine with it considering we weren't ever caught. That was until I went out on a scouting patrol with Jouno who is already high strung and hyper aware without his suspicions of my secrecy. It was a surprise last minute pairing for us and he made sure to complain about it the whole time. I had pushed the idea of Nikolai far enough out of my head that when a golden swirl appeared out of thin air by my side with Jouno a few steps away, I jumped in my skin. My coworker was right next to me and luckily blind as a hand emerged from the portal with another bouquet of flowers.

Out of instinct, I shoved the hand away back into the portal forcefully, a clear message that now wasn't the time. The golden whirl of light flickered as if hurt by my disapproval before dissipating completely, leaving my nerves fried and pulse rapid. That was too close to the most paranoid of our group and would have surely been trouble. It made me start thinking about all we were risking by doing this and all we would lose eventually.

~~~

"Why'd you push me away? You didn't even take the flowers," Nikolai whined. It was the night after I had panicked with Jouno around, Nikolai insisting he had to see me so we could talk. I agreed to meet up with him at my apartment where no one would find out he was here to discuss what we had to do now. I didn't want to break up with him but we needed to establish boundaries so that this relationship could work without it crashing and burning.

"Jouno was right there! You're lucky he didn't seem to sense your portal. You can't do that anymore or someone's going to catch on," I frowned, feeling exhausted from this constant hiding. If only I wasn't so infatuated with him that I could properly send him away and break things off before I ended up hurt. I could never do such a thing though, the mere thought made me feel sick.

Nikolai picked up on my sentiment pretty quickly, his own betrayed emotions pushed aside as he stepped closer to pull me into his arms. His gloved hand cupped my cheek, tilting my face close to his as he stared lovingly at me. The mask that usually covered part of his face was taken off, showing me both of his gorgeous eyes in bright clarity. It dragged me away from my spiraling panic and tethered me to him.

"I'd never let anything happen to us. I treasure this relationship with you more than anything else," he smiled widely, leaning in as if he was going to kiss me. My hand came up to stop him though, a look of disappointment crossing his face in response. His hand placed on my lower back tightened harshly with his smile twitching in doubt. He clearly wasn't liking being pushed away again.

"You don't treasure me enough to leave the Decay of Angels though," I whispered sadly, stating more than asking. I already knew where he stood on that even if he would never admit it. Neither of us wanted each other bad enough to quit our sides and focus solely on each other. That didn't mean we didn't hold some sort of love for each other considering we were on two different sides and were still trying to make this work but it wasn't enough for us to give up our ideals and passions to be on the same side.

"Don't ever say that again," Nikolai frowned, eyes watering as he moved towards me again. This time I didn't block his kiss as he pushed his lips to mine desperately. I felt his body shiver instantly from the contact as if he was starved of affection and care. I suppose he was as he held me tightly, not daring to let me go as I clung back just as eagerly.