Kyouka x Reader (Part 1)

Updated version (thanks @HantraxHF !)
———

The rain beat hard against the ground, as if trying to bury the little boy in an early grave. The child was small with more bruises and cuts than clean skin. If you were to lift his tattered shirt, you would've been able to count each of his ribs.

The boy was crouched low on his knees, leaning over as he heaved but he didn't have anything in his stomach to throw up so instead he panted heavily. They could've been close, ready to strike the small boy from the shadows.

No one had heard his cries earlier over the storm but it was too late now. There was nothing he could do to fix this and no one to bring back what he lost. His tears were quiet, no more screams or sobs. It was a silent suffering that left an aching pit in the boy's chest.

"Hello? Is someone there?" The child's head swiveled towards the unfamiliar voice as he began to panic. It was the voice of a woman though, he knew that at least. Was she working with the horrible men though? The same men that hurt him? The boy didn't want to risk it so he stayed quiet.

A figure walked down the alleyway, nothing much more than a blurred shadow in the rain. The child was right about it being a woman, the lady spotting the boy with a gasp. The kid didn't move, frozen in place by fear as the woman rushed over. Her eyes widened in surprise to see the child shivering in the rain.

"Oh my, what are you doing out here young man?" the woman questioned incredulously. She couldn't imagine why a child was left in an alleyway, soaked through and alone. Upon further inspection though as she drew nearer, she began to notice the signs of a tragedy. The boy's hands were stained with blood, his body clearly abused and broken. His eyes were wide and empty, nothing more than a void. When she spotted the body of a woman close to him, it all made sense.

"Oh no, sweet child," she breathed out. The boy's tears fell harder as she crouched by him. He flinched as her hand came up. She hesitated for a moment before gently resting her hand on his head. His eyes squeezed shut as he began to sob. The woman knew what she needed to do and so she carefully picked up the little boy in her arms, cradling him as she took one last look at the corpse of the boy's mother before turning away. There wasn't anything she could do to fix the mother but she could take care of the boy at least.

~~~

My first memory that I can remember is a little girl staring at me. Everything before that is fuzzy and unclear with a faint sound of rain but when I saw her face, everything became focused and clear. I had been sleeping a long time and when my eyes opened, another pair had been watching over me. Wide and beautiful, they were the start of my new life. A life that revolved around Kyouka.

"Where am I? What am I doing here?" I had asked in confusion. I couldn't comprehend what had possessed that kind woman on the street to take me here but I didn't feel any danger. This was a new feeling of warmth and protection that I hadn't felt in a long time and it made something in my chest swell.

The little girl cocked her slightly, like a puppy hearing a strange noise. Her lips twitched into a small smile that I felt instantly attached to, some part of me telling me that I had to protect her at all costs in order to continue to see that smile. "My mama is going to take care of you. And so am I," the girl smiled, unknowingly starting a flame in me that could never be put out.

~~~

(Years later)

"Where the hell did she go?!" I stormed through the train cars in a blind fury. All I did was turn around and she was gone. My sword let out a soft rumble in my hand in response to my high emotions but it did little to soothe me.