Fukuzawa x Reader

Thank you @itosan990 for requesting!
———

Growing up with Fukuzawa was the best thing to ever happen to me.  He guided me through the harshest years of my life and gave me the best memories to smile back on.  Without him, I never would've made it as far as I have as a respected detective with a fulfilling life.  All of my thanks were reserved to him. 

It was a shame when our life paths separated at times however.  He had gone to work with the government for a bit while I chose to work for independent parties.  I hadn't known he was an assassin or the atrocities he was putting himself through until I was assigned to a case by one of his victim's families. 

When all the clues led me to him, I had barely believed it.  After a long talk though and some bitterness for our own moral codes and mixed feelings, we were driven even further apart with the both of us swearing to keep our work lives far away from each other.  That could only last so long though when we both were so drawn to one another. 

To say I was smitten was an understatement when I found myself on his doorstep one night in the pouring rain, knocking on his door in hopes he would let me into his life again.  I couldn't stand pushing him away anymore.  I couldn't be without him.  It didn't make sense to throw away our long lasting friendship over our professions.

"Oh it's you," Fukuzawa's voice interrupted my thoughts, my head spiraling to the point that I hadn't heard his door open until he was standing there and looking at me.  I hated that there wasn't any emotion on his face, like I was some long time stranger he could barely recognize and held no strong passion towards anymore. 

"Please don't do that..." I whispered.  He was pushing me away even now but I didn't understand why.  I wasn't wearing my detective uniform.  I was unarmed and standing in the rain.  So why was he letting that cold mask slip into place as if I didn't deserve to see the real him anymore after a small disagreement? 

"Do what?  I'm not doing anything.  Why are you even here?"  His gruff voice sounded exhausted.  I tried to tell myself that it wasn't because he was tired of me but it was hard to think that when he wasn't exactly giving me the most friendly look.  I had to pull myself together before I let him break me down so easily. 

"I'm sorry.  For getting mad at that case a while back.  It wasn't your fault.  I was just stressed.  Every horrible thing I said, I didn't mean it," I said softly, hoping my own vulnerability would at least bring some life back into his eyes.  It didn't though.  He just stared at me blankly as if he didn't understand a word I said.  I could feel myself breaking apart right in front of him. 

He didn't say anything for a long while until he finally sighed and slid a hand over his face.  When I thought he would at least address my apology, he took a step back and opened the door wider, inviting me inside out of the rain.  I wasn't sure what this meant, if this meant that he was offering me some small comfort or preparing me for a long dreadful talk but I took the invitation to get out of the rain anyways, stepping into his apartment as I looked at him with worry.

"Calm down y/n.  I'm not mad.  I'm going to make us some tea," he whispered before turning away from me to retreat into his kitchen.  While he boiled the water, I shrugged off my wet coat and moved to sit on his couch and wait.  If only this felt normal.  I couldn't even remember the last time I had been here.  I suddenly felt small and unwelcome.  Was our friendship really gone? 

"I said I'm not mad," Fukuzawa reassured me once he walked into the living room with two cups of tea, handing one to me before he sat beside me on the couch.  My gaze dropped to the warm cup in my hands before I blew gently on the liquid and took a sip to calm myself.  The moment the sweet taste landed on my lips, I couldn't help but smile. 

"There's a lot of sugar in this," I glanced at him warmly.  It could've been the effect of the steam from his own cup of tea but I could've sworn his cheeks turned a soft shade of pink for a moment as he looked back at me. 

"How could I ever forget about your sweet tooth?" he whispered back with his usual tone of fondness ebbing back into his voice.  Whatever walls he had been building up for me were crumbling again right before my eyes.  He didn't say much but I could tell by his expression that he was softening up again.  I couldn't help scooting a bit closer to him with that knowledge in mind.

"I really am sorry about what I said though..." I whisper sincerely as I set my cup on the coffee table, looking at him in the eyes to show how serious I was in making up with him.  "I don't want to lose my best friend.  You mean too much to me to lose over a small disagreement."  He set his cup down as well, turning to face me straight on as a small smile tugged at his lips. 

"You have nothing to apologize for.  You're not going to lose me so easily," he promised me with a nod.  Even though I was still nervous that that wasn't entirely true, I let myself believe that everything was perfect again as I leaned forward to wrap my arms around him.  He didn't waste a second in hugging me back, holding me close like he'd never let me go. 

Resting my head against his chest, I could hear the rapid beating of his heart and I let myself drown out any other noise with it.  My profession didn't matter right now.  Fukuzawa's alliances didn't matter.  Nothing else mattered but the warmth from his body and the gentleness in our embrace.  And perhaps the growing feelings in my chest.