Kyouka x Reader (Part 2)

Thanks @HantraxHF for the request!
———

"Y/n?  Can I stay in here with you?  The thunder keeps getting louder," Kyouka's small voice called out tenderly.  I groggily sat up in my bed to see her standing in the doorway like a hesitant shadow.  She was just too adorable for me to say no to and I needed to protect her from everything that threatened to harm her, including the sounds of the storm outside. 

"Of course Kyo.  Come lie down with me and I'll keep you safe," I smiled warmly at her, patting the spot next to me invitingly.  She didn't waste another moment, eagerly running across the room just as another crack of thunder erupted outside.  She squealed at the sound, practically jumping out of her skin as she hid under my covers.  I sighed in mock exhaustion, retreating under the blanket as well to hold her close to me, her trembling body shaking in my arms. 

"It's going to be okay, Kyo.  It won't hurt you as long as I am here.  No one will hurt you because I am here and I always will be."

~~~

I awoke with a longing ache coiled in my chest, hugging whatever was in my arms closer to me.  For some reason Kyouka was immediately on my mind and I could've sworn I smelled her shampoo in the air as I drew the strange object in closer, desperately wishing that the warmth from it was from the dark haired girl herself and that I'd found out that all of this was just a huge nightmare. 

When I opened my eyes however, all I saw was my large weapon clutched in my embrace that I had hoped would hold Kyouka.  That would be impossible though considering how much she hated me now and the fact that she would never care for me again enough to even smile at me let alone cuddle anymore.  I had blown it and there was no fixing what was already done. 

An idea slowly started to form in my head as I sat up in bed.  I couldn't just let her go, it felt impossible to give her up after all the years we've spent together.  I couldn't go back and fix my mistakes but maybe I could prove that I deserved another chance and that I wanted to at least make things right.  She needed me just as much as I needed her and I'd show her that I was the strongest one who would protect her even if it meant losing my life.  But of course that would never happen.

~~~

Kyouka POV

He had kissed me.  He had acted like a jerk and an asshole, even shoving me to the ground and declaring that I wasn't strong enough to take care of myself but then he kissed me.  I couldn't even understand the emotions swirling around inside me with everything that's been going on.  I was supposed to hate him for his arrogance and borderline sexist tendencies but then he had to go and kiss me just to make things difficult. 

"I absolutely despise you y/n," I whispered angrily to myself but I was starting to realize with horror that I didn't really mean it anymore.  Because even though he had plenty of moments where he sucked and was too obsessed with hovering over me, he did it all to keep me safe and alive.  Deep down through my brewing irritation and anger, I still held some admiration for him that I couldn't seem to let go of no matter how hard I tried to.  Maybe I could work things out with him after all.

~~~

Y/n POV

It wasn't hard tracking down Kyouka when she made it so easy.  She was an amateur at hiding her tracks from me considering all the time we've spent together even before we joined the Port Mafia.  I could recognize where she was with just a glance so I knew that she was around here somewhere, all I had to do was wait for her to also realize I was somewhere nearby and then she'd come rushing to me in no time. 

My plan would've worked perfectly too if it hadn't been for the sound of an explosion nearby that made me instantly think of Kyouka.  I barreled through the alleyways of the wrong side of town, slipping past common thugs and other questionable nightlife people on my way towards the sound of fighting.  My heart thundered in my ears the whole sprint to my destination, desperately hoping that Kyouka wasn't anywhere near the battle that must've been raging from the sounds of it.