One Zealous For All Seasons

ONE ZEALOUS FOR ALL SEASONS

"But it is good to be zealous in a good thing always, and not only when I am present with you." ~Galatians 4:18

"Our great God & Savior Jesus Christ gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works." ~Titus 2:14

"To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven: ...A time to gain, And a time to lose; A time to keep, And a time to throw away;A time to tear, And a time to sew; A time to keep silence, And a time to speak." ~Ecclesiastes 3:1,6-7

As the Holy Spirit said (through Paul; see 2 Peter 1:21): "it is good to be zealous in a good thing ALWAYS." Later on, the Spirit (through Paul; see Zechariah 7:12) mentions of "good works". Plural, not singular. So there is more than one good work for us to be zealous about. And we need the Holy Spirit to help us discern what specific good work we are to be zealous in, in that moment.

Taken from my experience this morning and the application the Lord was mercifully teaching me in that moment, I am learning and being reminded that as much as I desire to "be a blessing" to others...whether through my hands and especially through my mouth (Luke 6:45, James 1:26, Proverbs 10:19 & Proverbs 18:20-21)... I need to be willing to humble myself to "receive blessing" from the hands and words of others.
Like David, I must be willing to bow my head and submit to those who are pouring out the oil of God upon my head. But if I'm ducking and dodging in misplaced and untimely zeal to be a blessing to others, instead of being still, I will miss out on what God wants to pour forth on and into me.

Here's an example: There's a time and place for every thing done to a car: Whether it is repairing the engine, changing the oil and tires, or cleaning and detailing it. The oil is not changed all the time, tires are not swapped every other day, and (unless you're extravagantly wealthy) you don't detail your car everyday. If all I'm focused on and support is one task to the exclusion of all others, I am being foolish and misfortune will come to my vehicle one way or another since I am not balanced in my perception to acknowledge all necessary tasks as having their ordained and allotted appointments.

Perhaps a simpler example: If I am not resting my instrument when the Divine Conductor shows I am to rest, I am bringing discord to the rest of the orchestra.

There is a time to speak so that others may be blessed with grace (Ephesians 4:29)...yet (more often than not) there is a time to be silent so that I might be able to hear and receive grace from others to whom God has appointed to speak and pour out for that time. Not only do I need to be in "receiving mode"...for one can receive and be begrudging...but also I am to be in "rejoicing mode"; to be like Christ who rejoices in the individual/collective members of His Body, His Bride.

May the Holy Spirit continue to enlighten us (those who specifically/especially need it) with His discernment between being zealous in the calling of Ecclesiastes 5 and the calling of Psalm 40; for His Sword is not one but rather double-edged.

"Walk prudently when you go to the house of God; and draw near to hear rather than to give the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they do evil.
Do not be rash with your mouth, And let not your heart utter anything hastily before God. For God is in heaven, and you on earth; Therefore let your words be few." ~Ecclesiastes 5:1-2

"I have proclaimed the good news of righteousness In the great assembly; Indeed, I do not restrain my lips, O Lord, You Yourself know.
I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart; I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth From the great assembly." ~Psalm 40:9-10