Light of the World

"And you shall command the children of Israel that they bring you pure oil of pressed olives for the light, to cause the lamp to burn continually." ~Exodus 27:20

Pastor Crawford Lorritts made a wonderful insight in his sermon, "The Wonderful Cross", that the meaning to the word "Gethsemane" [studying Matthew 26; Jesus in the garden] means "olive-press". (To this day, he says you can go visit the Garden of Gethsemane in Israel and see a olive-press that still exists that was used from ancient times.)
Isn't it interesting, in light of that, that Jesus tells us/His disciples to "shine our light before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven" ? [Matthew 5:16]
Just as much as Christ was bruised/crushed for our transgressions [Isaiah 53] and became the ultimate light of the world [John 8:12] through the "press" of sufferings and trials, so we also follow and become like Christ. Christ is calling us to allow the struggles and trials of this life to "press" on us in order to produce "light to the world". Just as much as olives needed to be pressed for their oil in order for the tabernacle's lampstand to be lit, so God is showing that, in order for our light to shine before men, He is bidding us to be "pressed" that we can produce that which can be fueled to give and show forth His saving light!

1 Corinthians 4:9-13~ "For I think that God has displayed us, the apostles, last, as men condemned to death; for we have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men. We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are distinguished, but we are dishonored! To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless. And we labor, working with our own hands. Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; being defamed, we entreat. We have been made as the filth of the world, the offscouring of all things until now."

Hebrews 10:32-36~ "But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings: partly while you were made a spectacle both by reproaches and tribulations, and partly while you became companions of those who were so treated; for you had compassion on me in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven. Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise..."