Unlike any god or king

~Unlike any god or king~

WHO HE IS & WHO WE ARE BEFORE HIM

1st Question: "Is God's goodness dependent on our being perfect, loving, or obedient?" No, because even "if we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself." (2 Timothy 2:13) Though a good man should fall "he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholds him with His hand." (Psalm 37:24) Our Creator's strength is available in our weakness, redemption in our times that need redeeming, cleansing in the areas we are unclean, His righteousness is there to replace our wickedness and folly. We serve a God unlike any other God that has ever been imagined or devised by the mind of man. He does not withdraw when we are weak, nor recoil when we become unclean. He is in fact closer and more intimate than ever during those times. "Come now," He says, "And let us reason together. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool." (Isaiah 1:18)

2nd Question: "Because God remains faithful, does that mean we have the option to remain faithless?" No, because in that same Isaiah passage He says, "Cease to do evil. Learn to do good." (Isaiah 1:16-17) No spouse or lover should violate, abuse, or take advantage of the devotion and patience of his/her partner.  If we take no delight (and are in fact deeply grieved and even embittered) should we imagine God takes delight in being treated in such a cruel manner also? "Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?" (Romans 2:4) Four times in Jeremiah 3 alone, God calls out to adulterous Israel, saying, "Return to Me..." (vs. 1, 7, 12, & 22) This passage testifies to the wonderful truth that God's patience (longsuffering) far exceeds our patience.

FEARFUL WONDER

His faithfulness and forbearance ought to move me to great wonder and fear of so awesome a mystery as His mercy. Rightly does the Psalmist say to the Lord, "There is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared." (Psalm 130:4) Do we not already have this fear in us when we relate towards His creation? We are fearful, wary of offending and distancing the hearts of those dearest to us. Do not awesome, powerful mysteries already exist for us to wonder at; waterfalls, mountains, caves, cells and galaxies just to name a few? We see they exist and in part we can explain them but we can't fully fathom them!
That is how I need to be relating towards our Savior, our Maker, our Father! This is what it means to "serve Him with fear, and rejoice with trembling!" (Psalm 2:11) I am in desperate need for more heart-transforming and becoming more into His likeness, for I am not in awe enough as I ought to be. May God be merciful to hasten humility's work and sanctification to grow. My feelings and emotions of awe are but a pathetic seed right now.

HE PUTS NONE TO SHAME

Yet as long as we do not walk in pride and complacency, I and anyone else who knows our own weaknesses and imperfections, cannot be ashamed for se serve a God unlike any other god or king that has existed. In calling us to seek Him, He helps us to seek Him. He is the King of kings and Lord of lords who could rightly demand our worship, our devotion without return or reward...and yet He has chose to be the "rewarded of those who diligently seek Him." (Hebrews 11:6) He is the perfect, pure, and powerful God who relates to us (mortals) in our weakness, impurity, and imperfection. Surely, He is a God, King, & Lover unlike any other.

"Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever. Oh, give thanks to the God of gods! For His mercy endures forever. Oh, give thanks to the Lord of lords! For His mercy endures forever: Who remembered us in our lowly state, For His mercy endures forever." ~Psalm 136:1-3, 23

"The Lord is high above all nations, His glory above the heavens. Who is like the Lord our God, Who dwells on high, Who humbles Himself to behold The things that are in the heavens and in the earth? He raises the poor out of the dust, And lifts the needy out of the ash heap, That He may seat him with princes— With the princes of His people. He grants the barren woman a home, Like a joyful mother of children. Praise the Lord!" ~Psalm 113:4-9