71

Jennie

"Jennie, there's something I have to tell you about my family." Lisa said beside me. I turned to look at her when I heard the nervousness in her voice. Before she could continue, the door opened and a teenage girl stood in the doorway.

She looked up from her phone, "Hey." she said to Lisa.

Lisa frowned as she took the phone from her, "Hey?'" she mimicked in an annoying voice, "That's all you're going to say to your sister that drove, I don't know how many hours to spend my birthday with you and mom?"

The girl smiled as she went to hug Lisa, "You didn't let me finish. I meant to say - hey you're here, happy birthday." I looked from Lisa to her sister and couldn't help but notice how different they look. While Lisa had straight blonde hair and light blue eyes, her sister had dark wavy hair and brown eyes.

Lisa took my hand, "Lia, this is my girlfriend Jennie." Lia pulled away from Lisa and looked at me in awe.

"It's such an honour to meet you." she shook my hand with enthusiasm, "I honestly can't believe that my sister managed to trick you into dating her."

Lisa held the back of Lia's neck, "This punk!" she scolded as I laughed. I clung onto Lisa's arm, "It's nice to meet you too, Lia and all the tricking was done on my part." I looked into Lisa's eyes, "I'm just waiting for her to tell me when she's sick of me."

Lisa smiled at me while Lia looked on, "Alright, this is too lovey-dovey for me." She grabbed her phone out of Lisa's hand and ran inside, leaving the door open for us. Lisa rolled her eyes, "Sorry about that, I forgot that she's going through her teenage phase."

I put my hands up in defence, "I remember being in that phase and I don't miss it."

Lisa laughed, "So, tell me exactly how teenage Jennie was." She led me inside the house and closed the door behind us. Lisa walked past me in a hurry, "Actually hold that thought, I've been holding in my pee for an hour, I'll be right back."

I shook my head with a smile and only realized that the walls were decorated with baby pictures of Lisa and Lia. I stopped to study every photo and smiled as every picture illustrated Lisa growing up with her sister.

"Hi there, you must be Jennie."

I turned in the direction of the voice and was met with a small Thai lady smiling at me, "It's so nice to finally meet you." she walked closer to me with her hand out, "I'm Chitthip, Lisa's mom."

I shook her hand and hoped that I hid the shock, "It's so nice to meet you, Lisa speaks very highly of you. Oh right." I handed her the box of cake, "Lisa and I stopped to grab a cake.''

"Perfect!" she replied with a slight accent, "We can have it for dessert tonight." she grinned.

You didn't have to see Chitthip up close to know that she was Lia's mother. They both had the same kind of brown eyes, mocha skin, and although Chitthip's hair was starting to grey, I imagined her hair was exactly like Lia's. Why was it that Lisa was the only blonde in the family?