156

Lisa

The elevator ride down was quiet except the sound of my heavy breathing and the occasional sniffle. The realization that I still had some boxes left upstairs came to mind but I couldn't go back for it, not after Jennie just broke my heart. I refused to let her see how bad she hurt me.

The doors opened and I stepped out, walking past the security desk with fast steps hoping that Arthit wouldn't stop me. I didn't want to cry. I was almost home free when I heard his voice.

"Ms. Manoban."

I pasted a smile on my face before turning around, "Yes, Arthit?"

He looked at me carefully for a couple of seconds before he spoke, "What's wrong?"

Those two words were enough me to start tearing up but I cleared my throat, "Nothing, it's just these damn allergies."

I knew he didn't believe me with the look on his face, but thankfully he didn't call me out on it. Instead, he pulled me into a hug which made me tear up even more. "It will get better, Ms. Manoban."

I pulled away, gave him and Patrick a small nod before I continued towards the exit. I unlocked my car door and pulled out of the parking space, driving past multiple blocks before I couldn't see through my tears. I pulled over and just sat in the seat with the car engine running. About a minute later, tears started flowing freely down my face. It took everything in me not to cry in front of Jennie, Arthit, and Patrick, but I was proud that I didn't break.

I didn't want to give Jennie the satisfaction of both breaking my heart and seeing me cry. This was exactly why I didn't want to get romantically involved with anyone. Now here I was, crying in the car a couple of blocks away from the girl that I loved, picking up the pieces of both my heart and ego.

Whoever said love wins, was clearly delusional.