76

Lisa

I looked at the rows of chips and candy with my arms already full of junk food.

"Need a hand?" A voice asked from behind me.

I turned around and to my horror, Jungkook stood there with a sheepish smile on his face.

"I... I... uh..." I stammered. What the hell was he doing here?

He took a step forward and put his hand on my elbow gently, "I moved back here, but I heard that you moved to Los Angeles. I can't believe that you're actually here. Happy birthday, Lisa." He shook his head with a smile, "You look great."

I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat, he remembered my birthday? "T... thanks." I said with a shaky voice. It was so surreal seeing the guy that I thought I was going to share my future with. He looked different, his once messy hair was combed and styled and he grew out his beard. But the brown eyes that I used to love so much was still the same. Even after all this time, the hurt hadn't disappeared and the only image I had in my head was his face when I caught him in bed with his co-worker.

"How long are you in town for?" He asked the question that made me snap out of my memories. "We should grab a drink and catch up." He stuffed his hands in his pockets, "After that whole... incident, I moved back home, I wanted to see if I could have another chance. I don't deserve it, I know that, but it doesn't hurt to try."

I opened my mouth to answer but stopped when I felt a hand on the small on my back. Jennie appeared beside me and she looked both annoyed and angry, "That's definitely the worst apology I've ever heard. And it does hurt to try when she's clearly uncomfortable with this situation."

Jungkook scowled, "The last time I checked, I was having a conversation with my friend and no one asked for your opinion."

"When my girlfriend's safety and well-being is compromised..." she narrowed her eyes, "... I make it my business." Her expression softened when she turned to talk to me, "Let's go home, babe." She tugged on my arm gently to leave but I stopped.

"You don't deserve me, Jungkook. Not then and especially not now." I said with my eyes focused on the ground. "After what you did to me, you have ruined so many potential relationships and made me so insecure that I pushed everyone away for years."

I slipped my hand into Jennie's, "I'm just relieved that Jennie is patient and understanding, she never hesitates to squash any insecurities that I have." I brought my other hand to hold her arm, "But I don't hate you anymore, because if you didn't do what you did, I wouldn't have realized the kind of love that I do deserve."

I gently tugged Jennie away before any emotions got the better of all us. But Jennie turned back around, walking backwards while shouting, "And she's not having bad sex anymore!"

My eyebrows shot up as I led Jennie back to where Lia was standing. It was the first time since I've been home that I've seen Lia not glued to her phone.

"I have no idea what went on in that conversation, but that last part was amazing." Lia laughed. She winked at me, "Congrats on having mind-blowing sex, sis."

"This is not a conversation that I want to be having with my teenage sister." I replied. Jennie turned to me, with fear in her eyes and her face flushed, "I'm sorry, Lisa. I have no idea why I said that. I don't know what came over me."

Lia laughed and put her hand on my shoulder to keep her upright, "You know, I was a little upset that you told me to stay put." she said to Jennie, "But then I wouldn't have been able to see his face when you said that sentence at the end."

She wiped a tear from her eye from laughing so much, "So worth it."

I steered the cart towards the cashier, "Let's get out of here." My face was neutral but everything Jennie said made my heart flutter.