182

Lisa

My mom and Lia sat across the table from us, while giving us a hard stare. Being at the table across from my mom made me feel like I was back in high school when I would lose track of time and accidentally break curfew. She'd wait for me to come home even after she worked a 15 hour shift, lecturing me but it was the stern look she gave that would make me want to curl up in a ball. Maybe it's just my mom, but if looks could kill, I'd already be dead.

I stole a glance at Jennie who was sitting up straight in her chair, her face stoic and void of any nervousness, probably because I was nervous enough for the both of us.

Lia broke the silence, "So, you lied to us?" I could see the hurt on my sister's face. I was always open with my mom and Lia, so this was definitely out of character for me.

My mom gave me a hard look, "I didn't raise either of my daughters to be liars, Lalisa."

I winced, if there was any clear indication other than my mom's expression that she was mad, calling me by my full name was another giveaway.

"Please don't blame her, Chitthip." Jennie spoke up. Both Lia and I looked over at her in surprise but she continued, "If you want someone to blame, blame me. It wasn't her idea, I bribed her with the money..." she looked away ashamed, not wanting to see the insulted look on their faces.

"I needed the money to help move into this place, mama." I explained. My mom opened her mouth to protest but I cut her off. "Lia didn't even have to tell me that you were struggling to make ends meet, I already knew."

"Now hold on just a minute..." Chitthip interrupted, "I wasn't struggling."

From the quiver in her voice, she wasn't doing a good job at hiding the lie herself.

"Don't even try to lie to me mom, you can't teach us to be honest and not practice what you preach." I challenged. "Jennie did bring up the idea of paying me but I decided to take her up on the offer."

Jennie pinched my leg, "Ow!" I jumped, "What was that for!?"

She leaned in, "You have to tell her that you didn't take the money."

I raised an eyebrow at her, "I'd rather not, she's really scary right now."

"What are you two whispering about over there?" my mom's voice made us both jump.

I sighed, "Mama, I didn't take the money."

"So you lied to everyone for nothing?" She had a frustrated expression on her face as she started speaking in Thai. This wasn't good.

"Not for nothing, mama." I reached over and held Jennie's hand as I watched the anger in my mom's eyes dissipate slightly. Jennie took a deep breath and with the best broken Thai, she answered her, "Chitthip, C̄hạn rạk lūks̄āw k̄hxng khuṇ læa c̄hạn khid ẁā ṭhex rạk c̄hạn klạb. T̄ĥā mī xarị thī̀ c̄hạn dị̂ reīyn rū̂ keī̀yw kạb s̄ạỵỵā nī̂ nạ̀n khụ̄x s̄ìng thī̀ khn thī̀rạk khuṇ yxm s̄eīys̄la. Læa mị̀mī xarị nı lok thī̀ c̄hạn ca mị̀ s̄eīys̄la pheụ̄̀x ṭhex." (I love your daughter and I think she loves me back. If there's anything I've learned about this contract, is what a person who loves you, would sacrifice. And there's nothing in the world I wouldn't sacrifice for her.)

The room was quiet, "Was my Thai that bad?" She laughed nervously.

I couldn't help but grin, "Baby, you learned Thai?"

She cleared her throat, "I mean not fully, but I did look up on how to say those sentences." she trailed off.

Lia, who had been quiet the entire time finally spoke up, "Learning a different language to get on your in-law's good side - if that isn't whipped behaviour, I don't know what is." she snorted.