152

The evacuation of the citizens of Jiyang City and Xiao Jue's takeover of Jiyang City's army were carried out almost at the same time.

The citizens would not disobey the orders given by the princess herself. No matter how puzzled and confused they were, they would leave temporarily to protect their family's lives when they heard that the city was in turmoil. The only ones who did not leave were the old, weak, sick, and disabled who could not travel long distances. They were unable to move for various reasons and did not want to wander around on the road. They would rather die in their hometown.

The most difficult ones were probably some of the aristocratic families in Jiyang City. They were displeased with Mu Hongjin over the years and secretly had disloyal thoughts. However, Mu Hongjin had always been swift and decisive. Although she was a woman, she had always forcefully suppressed all voices of opposition. However, this time, the crisis in Jiyang City was menacing. Mu Hongjin was unable to do many things at once. These aristocratic families were eager to take advantage of this opportunity to make some moves.

Mu Hongjin could not leave Jiyang City. Once she left, not only would she give a chance to those who secretly opposed her, but it would also mean that she had given up on the city and the citizens of the city. As the princess of Jiyang City, she enjoyed the love and respect of the citizens. At this time, she should take responsibility.

A disguised inconspicuous carriage secretly left the gate of the prince's residence.

Mu Hongjin, who was dressed as a maid, stood at the gate of the prince's residence. Half of her body was hidden behind a pillar as she looked in the direction Mu Xiaolou left.

Mu Xiaolou did not know about the crisis in Jiyang City. She naively thought that she was leaving to attend the king's birthday celebration in her grandmother's place. When she left, she was very happy and said that she wanted to bring a gift for Mu Hongjin. When she came back, it would be summer. She even wanted Mu Hongjin to accompany her to make sweet ice cream.

Mu Hongjin only withdrew her gaze when she could no longer see the back of the carriage. Just as she was about to turn around and enter the residence, she glanced and seemed to see a man in white standing opposite her. She could not help but stop and look over.

It was a man dressed in white. His face could not be seen clearly. He was hiding in the courtyard across the street. Sunlight shone down from the roof, casting a large shadow. He stood in the shadow, and his face could not be seen clearly. Only a long sword hung at his waist and a zither on his back could be seen clearly.

On the wide street, the flow of people was turbulent. Among the people coming and going, he raised his head slightly. He seemed to be looking at her through the crowd, but also seemed like he was not looking at her.

A horse-drawn carriage carrying goods slowly passed by.

When Mu Hongjin looked up again, there was only the dazzling sun. There was no one on the other side of the street, as if it was just her imagination.

She stood there quietly for a moment, then walked away.

At night, the oil lamp in the Cui residence's study room was still lit. Large lanterns were placed in the four corners of the room, illuminating the room. Cui Yuezhi's study room was more like an armory than a study room. The room was cold and cheerless and square. Apart from a few scrolls that were randomly piled on the table and a black wooden shelf with books on it, there was nothing elegant about the room at all.

However, he was not a person who liked to read.

There was a map hanging on the wall. The map was huge and took up half of the wall. A river was drawn in the middle, and the whirlpools and reefs near the river were clearly drawn.