199

Night shrouded the wilderness.

In the thatched hut, someone was hiding in the corner. His lips were moving, but no one knew what he was saying.

"Young master, we found them. Xu Jingfu's men are chasing after them. These two brothers are a bit delirious now. We might have to bring them back to the city for young master Lin to take a look." Luan Ying stood beside Xiao Jue and said in a low voice.

These were the survivors of the Battle of Mingshui.

In the Battle of Mingshui, Xiao Zhongwu's soldiers were almost completely annihilated. Among them, apart from Chai Anxi, no one else survived. And the soldiers who were still alive also died one after another. As for how they died and whether there was anything strange about their deaths, no one cared anymore. It had been five years since the Battle of Mingshui. Perhaps in this world, apart from Xiao Zhongwu's son, no one would care about the dead General Guangwu and the sinister plot hidden in that famous defeat.

"Is there no other way?" Xiao Jue frowned. "Like this, I'm afraid they won't be able to hold on until we return to the city."

"When we came out, we were in a hurry and only brought medicine for injuries. We didn't bring anything to calm the mind." Luan Ying shook her head. "Xu Jingfu's men chased them for seven days and seven nights. They didn't sleep and didn't rest, so they couldn't hold on."

Of course, a war of attrition was very tiring, especially a war of attrition like this. Xiao Jue thought for a moment and took a sachet from his waist. It was the sachet made by Bai Rongwei that He Yan gave him. He held the sachet and pulled open the string. Inside, there was a very small protective talisman and some medicinal herbs. According to He Yan, it was very important to focus the mind.

Xiao Jue poured out the medicinal herbs and gave them to Luan Ying. "Let them smell it. We won't leave tonight. Let them rest for a night in another place."

Luan Ying agreed.

After investigating Xu Jingfu and the Mingshui case for so long, they finally found two living witnesses. It wasn't easy. But this also showed that Xiao Jue's ability had gradually grown to the point where he could compete with Xu Jingfu. For example, this time, he won the kidnapping.

He couldn't stay here for long. He had to find another place. After finding a house outside the city, everyone, including the two delirious brothers, settled down.

Chi Wu and Fei Nu stood guard in front of the brothers' door to prevent any accidents during the night. Luan Ying went out to scout for information. Nights in the suburbs were always exceptionally cold and cheerless. Especially during autumn, when there was rarely any sign of human habitation within a dozen li radius. The moon was white and bright, shining down on the empty wilderness like flowing silver water, giving rise to a sense of desolation for no reason.

Actually, he didn't like the Mid-Autumn Festival. This was because the Mid-Autumn Festival always reminded him of very bad memories of the past. The more perfect the moon was, the lonelier it seemed. Every year around this time, he would find it hard to fall asleep. In the past, when he was in the barracks, he could read documents for half the night. Now that he was back in Shuo Jing, there was nothing he could do.

Xiao Jue lowered her head and looked at the sachet in her hand. The medicinal herbs in the sachet had been emptied, leaving only a flat layer. The Protective Talisman was small. After thinking for a while, he opened the sachet, intending to put the Protective Talisman back in.

Although it was embroidered by a servant of the Xiao family, the silk material and patterns were personally chosen by Bai Rongwei. Bai Rongwei was always very persistent on this matter, so the sachet was especially exquisite. Her fingers touched it, and the silk was as cold as moonlight.