165

The sky gradually darkened.

The instructors finished drinking the medicinal concoction that was prepared for them. Ever since Lin Shuanghe came to the Liang Province Guard, Lin Shuanghe was in charge of Xiao Jue's medicinal concoction. Therefore, there was no one she could talk to. Shen Muxue stood there. Xiao Jue was focused on the Nan Fu soldiers' daily training and had no intention of talking to her. After a while, she naturally felt awkward.

She was, after all, the noble daughter of the Imperial Censor Manor. Her self-esteem was ingrained in her bones. She could give up everything to share Xiao Jue's trials and tribulations. She could give up her luxurious life as the daughter of an official and come to this harsh and cold place to be a female doctor. However, she couldn't be like those girls from ordinary families, or even the servants, who could express their feelings to Xiao Jue in a frank and direct manner.

Shen Muxue had always hoped that as long as she stayed by Xiao Jue's side, Xiao Jue would one day discover her good points and tell her that they were the most compatible person in the world. This was her reserved nature. She had never worried about it. After all, in all these years, Xiao Jue had many beautiful women who threw themselves at him, but he had never been moved by any of them. Xiao Jue was not interested in women.

But now, Shen Muxue was confused. She had a bad feeling about some things. What if Xiao Jue fell in love with someone else before Xiao Jue saw her good points?

Shen Muxue could not imagine such a scene.

She picked up the empty bamboo basket and turned to leave without saying goodbye to Xiao Jue. Xiao Jue did not like to be disturbed when he was training. After all these years, she had already figured out Xiao Jue's preferences.

"Miss Shen." Someone called out to her.

Shen Muxue raised her head. The man in front of her was wearing a wide-sleeved robe. He smiled and pointed forward. "If you keep walking with your head down, you'll bump into Shi Tou."

Not far away, there was a huge rock. The new recruits of the Liang Province Guard often liked to grind their swords on this huge rock and slash randomly. Now, it was full of bumps and hollows, and there were even people who had carved a mess of curses on it. She was so distracted earlier that she didn't even notice such a large piece of Shi Tou. If it weren't for Chu Zhao's reminder, she would've bumped into it.

Shen Muxue stopped and bowed to Chu Zhao. "Fourth Young Master Chu."

She knew that Xiao Jue and Chu Zhao had different standpoints. After all, Chu Zhao was Prime Minister Xu's favorite student. It was just that Chu Zhao was born with good looks and a gentle temperament, so it was very difficult for ordinary women to have any ill feelings towards him. Shen Muxue was the same. When they met on a daily basis, he never lost his manners.

"Miss Shen seems to have something on her mind." Chu Zhao smiled. "Are you worried about Military Governor Xiao?"

Shen Muxue was startled. She instantly panicked, as if someone had seen through her thoughts. However, she quickly calmed down and quietly said, "It's nothing. I'm just thinking about the medicinal theory in the medical book I read today. Fourth Young Master Chu is overthinking it. "

Chu Zhao nodded and was about to continue walking forward. The instant they passed each other, Shen Muxue's heart stirred. She suddenly asked, "Fourth Young Master Chu seems to be on good terms with a new recruit of the Liang Province Guard named He Yan?"

Shen Muxue had seen Chu Zhao and He Yan talk a few times. Although Chu Zhao was normally amiable and approachable, never putting on the airs of a young master from an official's family, he was definitely not an enthusiastic and talkative person. In the Liang Province Guard, apart from talking to that excessively beautiful servant girl, he didn't have much interaction with anyone else. However, when he talked to He Yan, his attitude was very cordial.