253

Early the next morning, Xiao Jue did not return.

Xiao Jing also entered the palace, while Bai Rongwei and He Yan stayed in the residence. Bai Rongwei was pregnant, so He Yan did not dare to let her worry about him. He did not tell her much about the palace. After the maidservants helped Bai Rongwei into the room to rest, she sat in the courtyard and waited for Xiao Jue to return.

When Xiao Jue returned, it was already night time.

The sky was completely dark, but the courtyard was already lit with lanterns. He Yan was sitting at the table, absent-mindedly reading a book. When he saw Xiao Jue return, he was covered in dew and his expression was somewhat cold. He hurriedly got up and walked over, asking, "How is it?"

Xiao Jue put the wine on the table and took off her outer garment. After a moment of silence, she said, "The national funeral will be held in three days."

"So soon?" He Yan was surprised.

"Not only that, before the Emperor died, he left behind a posthumous edict. Four concubines and twenty palace maids will be buried with him."

He Yan blurted out, "Impossible!"

Regarding the death of the Emperor, there were indeed records of women being buried with him. However, this rule had been abolished long before the previous Emperor ascended the throne. At that time, Emperor He Zong thought that the burial of women was too cruel, so it was abolished. This was a rule that had been abolished. Moreover, although Emperor Wen Xuan did not have much political achievements, he was still considered benevolent and tolerant. He would not have made such a posthumous edict.

"Among the four concubines buried with him, there was Concubine Lan." Xiao Jue said coldly.

He Yan immediately understood, "You mean, this posthumous edict is fake?"

Emperor Wen Xuan doted on Concubine Lan for many years. Now that Emperor Wen Xuan had died, no one could protect Concubine Lan. He could use a fake posthumous edict to get rid of this thorn in his side.

"If the posthumous edict is fake …" He Yan raised his head and looked at Xiao Jue. His eyes moved slightly, "Have you seen His Majesty …"

Xiao Jue looked at him, "No."

He Yan felt his heart skip a beat.

If he hadn't seen Emperor Wenxuan with his own eyes, he wouldn't know if Emperor Wenxuan had really died of illness. If it had been something else …

"I asked the eunuchs in the bedchamber at that time. Before the Emperor went to bed, he had seen the Fourth Prince."

"Such a coincidence?" He Yan frowned slightly. But if it was the Fourth Prince who attacked the Emperor, there was no reason at all.

"After the national funeral, it will be the coronation ceremony." Xiao Jue sat down on a chair. "The Crown Prince will be enthroned."

He Yan's voice sank. "This is not a good thing."

Before the imperial edict to change the Crown Prince appeared, Emperor Wen Xuan's imperial carriage would arrive and the Crown Prince would ascend the throne. Not to mention whether or not the Crown Prince could sit on the throne, once the Crown Prince ascended the throne, the Xiao family's situation would not be optimistic.

Seeing He Yan's frown, Xiao Jue smiled and comforted her, "Don't worry, I will go to the Fourth Prince's residence tomorrow."

"You …"

He did not say anything and only looked at He Yan calmly. In an instant, He Yan understood. She lowered her head and did not say anything. After a while, she raised her head again and put her hand on the back of Xiao Jue's hand. Her voice was firm. "Go."