171

Rundu was a small city.

To the north was the bustling Jinling, while to the south was the abundant Hua Yuan. Sandwiched between the two cities was Rundu. Other than the fact that it was rich in grapes, many people had never even heard of it in their entire lives.

For twenty days, they traveled without rest. When they were tired, they would curl up and sleep for a few hours in the caves under the trees along the way. When they were hungry, they would use the bows and arrows they brought along to shoot wild hares and eat bird eggs. On the evening of the twentieth day, the seven of them finally arrived at Rundu City.

"What should we do now?" They stopped their horses and dismounted. Then, they pulled their horses to the side of the river to drink water and sit down to eat. He Yan looked ahead into the distance. It was a field. When she reached this place, she was familiar with the road.

He Yan did not say anything. She looked for the tallest tree and climbed up. After a while, she came down from the tree.

Hong Shan handed her a few roasted bird eggs that were buried in ashes. "How is it? Where do we go in? "

The bird eggs were boiling hot. He Yan fiddled with them a few times in her hands before she peeled off the shell. The steaming hot food entered her stomach, and the tiredness from the past few days seemed to lessen. She said, "We can't go in directly from the front. The Uto set up camp outside the city gate. Even if we can avoid the Uto, the soldiers guarding the Rundu city gate won't dare to open the city gate."

"Then what should we do?" Jiang Jiao looked at her. "Brother He, do you have any ideas?"

He Yan thought for a while. "I've asked my brothers from the Liang Province Guards before. I know that there's a small path outside the city gate. We need to go over a mountain and then take the water route. Horses can't go up, so we can only abandon them and walk. We can take the shortcut in the middle and enter Rundu City. "

"Really?" Xiao Mai asked. "Then let's hurry up and eat. After we finish eating, we'll continue our journey."

He Yan nodded and looked in the direction of Rundu City. A trace of worry flashed across her heart.

Naturally, this shortcut was not told to her by the Liang Province Guard. Many years ago, when she was fighting against the Western Qiang people in the Rundu, she dug a tunnel in the city in order to bring in the people from outside the city. The tunnel was connected to the river, and after crossing the river, it led to the mountains outside the city. Whether it was the Western Qiang people or the Uto, it was impossible for them to take this route.

He Yan was not worried about the Uto's ambush, but she was worried about whether Li Kuang had sealed the tunnel after so many years. After all, the Rundu had been peaceful for so many years.

But no matter what, he still had to continue moving forward.

Everyone quickly finished eating their rations and paused for a moment. He Yan removed the reins from the horses one by one and patted the horses' buttocks. The horses galloped into the forest.

"Let's go," she said.

In front of the city gate, the guards carefully stared at the wilderness in the distance, not letting go of any suspicious places.

In the room, the county magistrate, Zhao Shiming, was anxiously pacing back and forth. He looked at the silent man sitting in the center and said anxiously, "Commander, why isn't General He here yet? You have to think of something!"

Li Kuang was the commander of the Rundu City. He had just passed the age of 40 and was tall and mighty. With a beard around his mouth, he looked particularly resolute. He slammed the table and said with some displeasure, "What are you all arguing about? I already said that General He will definitely come to our Rundu's aid!"