252

After the beginning of spring, it no longer snowed in Shuo capital. Instead, it drizzled endlessly, as if there was no end to it.

Within the palace, there was no joy of the new year. Emperor Wenxuan's illness was becoming more and more serious, and the expressions of the palace servants were gloomy. Even the spring rain was dyed with a layer of gloominess.

The door to the bedchamber was opened, and the Fourth Prince Guang shuo walked out from within.

These days, he had been visiting Emperor Wenxuan very frequently. Emperor Wenxuan had always doted on this son of his, and the palace servants did not find it strange. Although they did not dare to openly discuss it, the palace servants secretly thought to themselves that although the Guang Yan was the crown prince, it was hard to say who would inherit the throne in the future.

In the bedchamber, Emperor Wenxuan lay on the bed, staring at the bright yellow curtains on the dragon bed.

In the past few days, he had told Concubine Lan not to come here every day. It was not for any other reason, but because he was afraid that outsiders would see it and spread rumors. People's hearts were hard to predict. If it was in the past, it would not be a problem. However, now that he could not even attend court, he was afraid that he would not be able to protect Concubine Lan and her son as well as before.

Thinking about Guang shuo, Emperor Wenxuan sighed in his heart.

Guang shuo was extremely good. He had both ability and integrity, and was also filial. Putting everything else aside, if he had a bit more decisiveness and coldness, he would be a rare wise emperor in Da Wei. However, it was because of his kindness and soft-heartedness that Emperor Wenxuan treated him differently. Because this kind of Guang shuo was more like his own son.

Unfortunately, even so, Emperor Wenxuan was unable to change the crown prince at this time and hand the throne to Guang shuo. Once he did so, the Imperial Court would definitely be in chaos. Based on the Guang Yan's personality, it was likely that the Imperial Family's sons would immediately fight each other and blood would be spilled in the main hall.

If he was in the prime of his life, he would be able to suppress all of this. However, he was already old. All these years, the courtiers had followed the Guang Shuo, followed the Guang Shuo, followed the Guang Yan, followed the Guang Yan. Everyone had their own thoughts, and he could no longer control them.

But … in the end, there had to be a result.

Emperor Wen Xuan was startled when he heard a slight noise coming from the door. He thought it was a palace servant. Then, he heard a Guang Yan's voice, "Father … is he asleep?"

It was a Guang Yan.

He was carrying a redwood basket in his hand. When he saw Emperor Wenxuan, who was lying on the bed, about to get up, he hurriedly went forward and helped Emperor Wenxuan up. He leaned against the headboard and called out, "Father."

"… Why are you here?" Emperor Wenxuan asked. As soon as he spoke, he was shocked to find that his voice was unusually hoarse.

"I heard that Father was sick, and I was terrified …" The Guang Yan seemed to be a little nervous, "After thinking about it, I decided to come into the Imperial Palace to see Father. Is Father's body healthy?"

The Guang Yan had always been domineering and arrogant. This was the first time he had shown such a helpless expression. Emperor Wenxuan looked at him and suddenly sighed.

Ever since Xu Jingfu's accident, the Guang Yan rarely came to the Imperial Palace. Of course, Emperor Wenxuan knew that the Guang Yan had been close to Xu Jingfu in the past because he was afraid that Xu Jingfu would implicate him, so he deliberately avoided the limelight. Emperor Wenxuan was also angry with the Guang Yan. It was also because of his relationship with Xu Jingfu that he particularly hated him.