271

The first time Xia Chengxiu met Yan He was at the spring banquet with his cousin.

Although it was called a spring banquet, it was actually just an opportunity for the noble young masters and young ladies of the right age to see each other. At that time, Xia Chengxiu was only sixteen years old. Although there were young ladies of this age in the capital who were already married, Xia Chengxiu doted on his daughter and did not intend to marry Xia Chengxiu off so early.

Therefore, Xia Chengxiu only came out to have fun with his cousin.

It was the spring of April, and the grass was long and the orioles were flying. The tender grass by the Sishui River was furry. Xia Chengxiu followed his cousin Xia Qianqian out of the carriage. There were already young ladies he knew who were flying kites.

Seeing this, Xia Qianqian immediately asked the maidservant to take out the prepared kites and walked towards her friend.

Xia Qianqian was eighteen years old this year. Among the group of young ladies, her appearance was especially outstanding. She was exceptionally sweet and beautiful. She also understood the strength of her appearance very well. She wore a scarlet tulle embroidered narrow-collared dress that outlined her slim figure. In the crowd, she could be seen at a glance.

Her family background was also the most superior among this group of young ladies. In just a moment, she was surrounded by people and praised.

At that time, Xia Chengxiu was still a sixteen-year-old girl. At most, she could only be considered delicate and pretty, not to mention compared to her cousin Xia Qianqian. Xia Chengxiu was usually called a bookworm, and Xia Chengxiu was secretly called a little bookworm. She scrupulously followed etiquette. Among her peers or sisters, she seemed a little dull and taciturn, which was not likable enough.

The relationship between Xia Qianqian and Xia Chengxiu could not be considered close. They were just ordinary cousins. However, with Xia Chengxiu, this dull and boring bookworm, by her side, it made Xia Qianqian look delicate, light, and intelligent.

Xia Chengxiu did not think much of it. Seeing that his cousin and her friend were talking animatedly, he picked up a book and sat at the side to read. Xia Qianqian couldn't be bothered with her. After a while, everyone began to set up a long table beside the Sishui Shoreline. On the long table were the snacks and snacks that the young ladies had brought out from the residence. They could eat here at noon.

After an unknown period of time, Xia Chengxiu heard the young ladies beside him talking about which brand's new rouge color was beautiful. Now, they were talking about "Young Master Yan will also come today."

The 'Young Master of the Yan Family' referred to the current Young Master of the Left and Right Vanguard's Commander's Residence, Yan Nanguang. He was only eighteen years old this year. It was said that he was brave and good at fighting, and was born with a talent of striking appearance. At such a young age, his future was limitless. Xia Qianqian's father intended to marry into the Yan Family. Today's outing was also a tacit understanding with the Old Master and Madam of the Yan Family. It was to see if there was any fate between the two juniors.

Xia Chengxiu had also heard about this, but this was her cousin's business. She came out today to serve as a foil to her cousin, basking in the sun and reading a book.

Just as she was thinking, someone beside her suddenly shouted softly, "They're here!"

Xia Chengxiu looked up and saw a group of youths approaching from afar on the bank of the Sishui Shoreline. The leading youth was wearing a silver robe. This color was really too eye-catching, but he was handsome and tall, so he didn't find it strange. His hair was tied into a high ponytail, and his eyebrows were unruly. He seemed to be a little irritated and impatient, but it made him stand out among the group of youths.