242

There was more and more evidence about Prime Minister Xu's involvement in the Battle of Mingshui.

It wasn't just the Battle of Mingshui. There were all sorts of crimes that were presented to the court, including selling official positions and titles, hiring private servants, deceiving the emperor, accepting bribes …

The change in the emperor's attitude made Xu's party feel that something was wrong. The court was immersed in a tense atmosphere. Those who originally thought that they would be able to rescue Xu Jingfu soon realized that it was not a simple matter. In other words, it was impossible.

In Count Shi Jin's residence, a servant stopped the people who wanted to come in and said with a smile, "Sirs, please go back. Fourth Young Master is not in the residence."

"Where did Chu Zilan go?" One person was anxious and angry. He asked in a low voice, "If you don't let us see Fourth Young Master Chu, the prime minister won't have time!"

The servant only said with a bitter face, "Sirs, I don't know. Fourth Young Master hasn't been back for a long time."

Seeing that they couldn't get anything useful out of the servant, the person could only leave resentfully. After the group of people left, the servant closed the door and went back to the courtyard. He knocked on the door of the study and walked in.

Chu Zhao was sitting at the table, reading.

"Fourth Young Master, the people who came have all been sent back," the servant said.

Chu Zhao was of course in Count Shi Jin's residence. In fact, he hadn't left the residence these days, so no one saw him.

"Well done."

"But Fourth Young Master …" The servant hesitated and asked, "Are you really not going to think of a way?"

Chu Zhao looked up at him. The servant's face paled. After a while, he heard the person in front of him say, "You can go out."

The servant left as if relieved of a heavy burden.

Chu Zhao's gaze fell on the table again. The inkstone on the table was given to him by Xu Jingfu. Ever since Xu Jingfu was imprisoned, there were people who wanted to find him to help Xu Jingfu get out. After all, Xu Jingfu treated him like his own son. He was going to be Xu Jingfu's son-in-law soon. It was reasonable for him to do this.

Chu Zhao's gaze became distant.

Chu Zhao still remembered the first time he met Xu Jingfu.

At that time, he was still young and was being bullied by Madam Chu and his three brothers. He was very good-looking, and Chu Linfeng liked to take him to social gatherings. He looked very good, but every time he came back from social gatherings, what awaited him was endless torture.

Chu Linfeng couldn't see what was happening in the backyard. Even if she saw it, she would only say a few words. It was impossible for her to leave Mrs. Chu because of him.

There was a winter day when Chu Linfeng had to entertain his colleagues and wanted to bring him along. This time, he was a guest at Prime Minister Xu's residence. Chu Linfeng had specifically instructed Madam Chu to pick out a good set of clothes for Chu Zhao so that he wouldn't embarrass the Chu family.

Since he was going to be a guest at Prime Minister Xu's residence, Madam Chu didn't dare to neglect him. Even though she was extremely unwilling, she still prepared gorgeous clothes for him.

Chu Linfeng was quite satisfied.

But Chu Zhao had a hard time walking.

He didn't know if it was Madam Chu or one of his brothers who had nailed a few nails into the bottom of his boots. At first, he couldn't feel it, but as he walked, the nails gradually drilled into his boots and finally drilled into the soles of his feet.