172

There weren't many people on the streets.

The Uto were waiting outside the city, and the commoners couldn't sleep at night. The street vendors had long since closed, and the streets were deserted and desolate.

The rice shops had closed several months ago, and from time to time, women with children could be seen digging for wild vegetables to eat. Unfortunately, the people inside the city couldn't leave, and the people outside the city couldn't enter. Everything that could be eaten had long since been eaten, so how could there be any wild vegetables to be seen? Occasionally, they would see a mouse, and they would happily assume that there was meat to eat.

Although everyone was worried about when the Uto outside the city would attack, hunger had long since spread to every corner of the city. When the last grain of rice was eaten, even if the Uto didn't attack the city, something big would happen in the city.

In this bleak street, someone was walking slowly. It was a man and a woman, and both of them were extremely good-looking. The man wore an indigo robe, and he looked gentle and handsome. The woman had gorgeous features, and she was charming and moving.

Ying Xiang took out a piece of rations from his bag and handed it to Chu Zhao. "Fourth Young Master, the shops here have all closed. Eat some rations to fill your stomach first."

This was the rations that the soldiers in the Liang Province Guard had eaten when they were out. It had always been stored in a bag, so it was dry and hard. Now that there were no inns to eat at, they could only make do.

Chu Zhao took it and was about to eat it when he caught sight of a little girl standing under a tree. The little girl was about five or six years old. Her face was dirty, and her clothes were tattered. She wasn't wearing any shoes and was barefoot. He didn't know whose child she was, but her eyes were fixed on the rations in his hand without saying anything.

Chu Zhao smiled and walked forward. He crouched down and handed the rations to her.

The little girl stared blankly for a moment, then looked around. As if she was afraid that Chu Zhao would go back on his word, she snatched the rations and stuffed them into her bosom. She turned around and ran, quickly disappearing at the end of the deserted street.

Chu Zhao stood up and Ying Xiang said, "Fourth Young Master …"

"It's fine." He shook his head. "The Rundu won't last much longer."

Ying Xiang was somewhat worried. The two of them left the Liangzhou Guards and hurried back to Shuojing. As soon as they arrived at the Rundu, Uto followed them. The city chief soldier Li Kuang gave the order to guard the city gate. They could neither enter nor exit, and were trapped here instead.

"We have to leave the Rundu as soon as possible," Ying Xiang said softly, "Uto has been trying to attack the city for the past few days. I think the main attack will be in the next few days. Once the city is breached … we will also be in danger. "

Those Uto were cunning and ruthless. Even if Chu Zhao had a way to escape unscathed, she was still a woman after all, and an extremely beautiful one at that. Beautiful women in troubled times always met with tragic ends. Ying Xiang could not help but shudder.

Chu Zhao seemed to have read her mind and said, "We'll leave tomorrow."

Ying Xiang relaxed and said gratefully, "Thank you, Fourth Young Master."

"Before that, we have to look for the city chief soldier Li Kuang." Chu Zhao smiled. "Without his help, we won't be able to leave the city."

Ying Xiang nodded. Even though the city gate was sealed, she did not doubt that they would not be able to escape unscathed. Every city had a secret passageway. The family members and important people of high ranking officials would be sent out at critical times, so that they could survive.