272

Every time Yan He went to war, Xia Chengxiu would be waiting for him in the mansion. From one person to two people waiting, what they got in the end was bad news.

In the first year after Yan He left, everyone thought that Xia Chengxiu would wash her face with tears and be sad all day long. However, what she showed was a shocking calmness.

Muxia was well taken care of by her. Lin Shuanghe often came to visit. Xia Chengxiu would still smile and do what she was doing in an orderly manner. Sometimes, when she woke up in the middle of the night, she would subconsciously try to touch the person beside her. It was only when her hand touched the cold mattress that she seemed to realize that the person who had warmed her was no longer there. Eventually, she would slowly fall silent.

In the fifth year after Yan He left, Commander Yan and Madam Yan took the initiative to persuade Xia Chengxiu to remarry. Xia Chengxiu was not old. It was not like there were no widows who remarried in the capital. She was gentle and gentle, and she was also the daughter of Lord Xia. She might have a good family. However, Xia Chengxiu politely declined.

Xia Chengxiu said, "I have Muxia. That is enough."

A new "Singing Jade Hall" was opened in the capital. Xia Chengxiu often went to help. She arranged her life to the fullest and calmly continued her life without Yan He. He Yan often came to talk to her. Xia Chengxiu knew that she was worried about him. However, ever since she was young, she had a personality that did not make people worry. Just like the first time Yan He saw her, she would never let herself be taken advantage of.

Ten years after Yan He left, Mu Xia already had the appearance of a young man. His facial features were similar to Yan He's, but he was more delicate than Yan He. His spear skills were already very good. He Yan and Xiao Jue would come to teach him swordsmanship when they were free. He often provoked Xiao Jue. With a high ponytail and a silver spear in his hand, he said, "Military Governor Xiao, in a few years, you will be defeated by me."

Of course, he ended up being thrown onto a tree by Xiao Jue. However, even though he couldn't beat Xiao Jue, he was able to use the competition as an excuse to get back at Xiao Yao. As the saying goes, "A father's debt must be paid by a daughter."

In the fifteenth year after Yan He left, Muxia found a girl he liked.

The young man was staring blankly at the thing in his hand. When he saw his mother come in, he hurriedly hid the sachet that his sweetheart had given him. Xia Chengxiu smiled and sat down beside him.

"You like this girl very much?" she asked.

Yan Muxia subconsciously retorted, "Who likes her?" His ears quietly turned red.

Xia Chengxiu patted his head and said, "Then remember to treat her better."

The young man pretended to be calm and looked away. With a red face, he said without much confidence, "Hmph."

In the twentieth year after Yan He left, Yan Muxia married the daughter of the Minister of Revenue. It was the girl that he liked when he was fifteen. They gave birth to a daughter named Niao Niao.

Yan Muxia treated Niao Niao and her mother very well. In the past, there was a rumor in the capital that Guide Zhonglang, Yan Nanguang, was a henpecked husband. Now that she saw how Yan Muxia treated his wife and daughter, she realized that he had inherited his father's business.

Niao Niao looked like her mother and was closest to her grandmother, Xia Chengxiu. Her personality was not as arrogant as Yan Muxia's, nor was she as lively as her mother's. Everyone said that she was very similar to Xia Chengxiu in the past. She was gentle, quiet, soft, and strong.