227

He Yan didn't have time to speak before Xiao Jue glanced at her, turned around, and walked away.

He Yan didn't have time to take down the lantern in front of him. He hurriedly pushed through the crowd and followed her. The craftsman behind her was stunned and called out to her, "Miss, you forgot to take your lantern!"

But there was no response.

He Xinying also heard the craftsman's call and subconsciously followed the craftsman's gaze. She saw a familiar figure hurriedly leaving.

He Yan was startled. This figure looked exactly like Marquis Wu An, whom she had met at Yu Hua Temple.

She didn't know why, but she had only met He Yan once, but he left a deep impression on her. Xu Zhiheng, who was beside her, asked her, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He Xinying returned to her senses, "Let's look at the lanterns." She was a little anxious.

Ever since she married Xu Zhiheng, whenever he had time, Xu Zhiheng would accompany her to the night market. Recently, Xu Zhiheng had been busy with official business and hadn't come over for two months. Yesterday, when she returned to the Xu family, Xu Zhiheng unexpectedly asked to accompany her for a while. If it was in the past, He Xinying would have been very happy. But now, walking beside Xu Zhiheng, she didn't feel happy. Instead, she felt a little nervous.

Her mother's illness, the assassin that night, and the military book hidden under her dead sister's bedpost. Every one of these was enough to make people suspicious. But she couldn't do anything. She had to pretend that she didn't know anything.

She stared at the colorful lanterns in front of her, but her mind was filled with thoughts of the figure who had hurriedly left just now.

He Yan grabbed Xiao Jue's sleeve with difficulty and said, "Walk slowly. There are so many people here. If we get separated, it'll take a long time to find you. I was stepped on several times just now."

He only walked forward and didn't look back, but his footsteps slowed down a little.

Amidst the bustling crowd, He Yan used all the strength he could muster to grab onto Xiao Jue's sleeve, almost tearing it apart. Finally, they made it out of the crowd, to a place along the river.

"Xiao Jue." He Yan stared at her and asked, "Are you angry?"

Xiao Jue did not say anything.

He tilted his head so He Yan couldn't see his expression clearly, so she stood on her tiptoes to get a closer look. However, Xiao Jue blocked him with her arm and pushed He Yan away.

"Are you really angry?" He Yan said, "I was just …"

"He Yan," Xiao Jue interrupted her. She looked straight at her and asked in a low voice, "Are you …"

He Yan looked at him.

"You still have feelings for Xu Zhiheng?"

"Cough, cough, cough …" She choked and coughed.

"Don't joke around!" He Yan denied, "It's not like you don't know what he did. How could I still have feelings for him?"

"Oh?" He raised his eyebrows and looked at her sharply. "So you're saying that you had 'feelings' in the past?"

He Yan almost couldn't breathe. She was stunned by Xiao Jue's question. What kind of question was this? No matter how she answered, it seemed wrong. He Yan stammered for a while, then whispered, "I didn't have feelings in the past."

Xiao Jue looked at her expressionlessly. He Yan felt guilty and carefully chose her words to lie. "You know, I didn't have the power to choose in my previous life. After I switched identities with He Rufei, I naturally had to follow whatever my family said … The He Family arranged for me to marry Xu Zhiheng, so I married him. I didn't … I didn't have feelings for him."