198

It was late at night.

The lights in the courtyard had already been extinguished. Only the lantern at the door was lit, like a firefly perched on a leaf, about to fly away in the next moment.

Ying Xiang walked forward with the lantern and greeted, "Fourth Young Master."

Chu Zhao raised his head and glanced at her, "Didn't I tell you not to wait for me?"

"This servant couldn't sleep," Ying Xiang said softly, "I came out with the lantern to take a look and coincidentally bumped into you."

Chu Zhao did not speak and entered the room, "You can leave."

Ying Xiang bowed and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Chu Zhao sat in front of the table and pressed his forehead. Just now at the Xu Residence, Xu Jingfu's words floated in his ears.

"Zilan ah, I only have one daughter. In the future, you can't bully Pingting. If Pingting comes home and complains to me, even if I'm your teacher, I won't let you off."

Xu Pingting pouted, "Why would Brother Zilan bully me? But Brother Zilan is so handsome, there are many girls in Shuo Capital who like him. After I become Brother Zilan's wife, if there are any blind vixens who throw themselves at Brother Zilan, "she raised her eyebrows and said loudly," I will skin them alive! "

"What kind of girl is she? How can she be so violent all the time?" Xu Jingfu said this, but he had no intention of stopping Xu Pingting.

The seemingly warm image of this father and daughter filled his mind, and he couldn't help but bend over. His stomach churned with nausea, and he retched a few times.

Before he went to the Xu Residence today, Chu Zhao had asked Ying Xiang to stay in the room. In fact, after returning to Shuo Capital, he had asked Ying Xiang to stay in the Chu Residence and not go out unless there were other circumstances. Now that the marriage between him and Xu Pingting was almost out in the open, Ying Xiang would be in even more danger.

When he was young, he became the disciple of Xu Jingfu. Thanks to Xu Jingfu, Madam Chu did not dare to act against him as openly as before. Xu Jingfu also treated him well. For a child, he gave Chu Zhao enough face. Because he was Xu Jingfu's student, it was convenient for him to interact with others. As Xu Jingfu's daughter, Xu Pingting was about the same age as him. In the beginning, Chu Zhao didn't hate her as much.

When Xu Pingting was a teenager, she was already the apple of the Xu family's eye. She could get whatever she wanted. Other than being a little arrogant, she treated Chu Zhao very well. She always followed behind Chu Zhao like a tail, calling him "Brother Zilan". Sometimes, she would tell Chu Zhao, "Ping Ting will marry Brother Zilan in the future. Brother Zilan belongs to Ping Ting alone."

He took it as a joke until Chu Zhao was fourteen years old.

Chu Linfeng was famous for being a handsome man in Xiao Zhongwu's generation. Even if he didn't become Shi Jinbo, he could still win the hearts of many girls with his good looks. Chu Zhao's mother, Ye Runmei, was also beautiful. Chu Zhao modeled himself after the couple. When he was fourteen years old, he was as beautiful as the two brothers in the Xiao family. His personality was gentle and considerate, and he knew how to take care of people. Many girls secretly fell in love with him.

Among them, there was a young lady named Qian. She was fiery and passionate, and her eyes were very charming. She was different from the other shy girls in the Shuo capital. After meeting a few times, she directly expressed her feelings to Chu Zhao. Of course, Chu Zhao rejected her, but she didn't give up. She didn't pester him, but she sent things to the Chu family every few days. Occasionally, when they met in the Shuo capital, Miss Qian didn't refute. She just stared at him, making him feel helpless.