Chapter 16: Holding Hands

Luo Jinxiu reached out and touched her own hand, a deep smile on her lips.

Chopping down trees was really difficult, especially without using spiritual energy. Holding a large axe that she had borrowed, Luo Jinxiu hit the tree trunk one by one. Several trees had already fallen behind her, but the number was still far from the required amount.

Unconsciously, it was already noon, and the sun was hanging over their heads. Despite the dense canopy of trees, it was still hot, and soon she was sweating profusely. Exhausted, she dropped the axe, squinted up at the sky, and exhaled a breath of hot air.

"Damn this weather, why is it so hot?" She wiped her face haphazardly with her sleeve, smudging her once fair complexion.

"Sister!" A deliberately muffled call rang out, and as Luo Jinxiu looked towards the forest, she saw Luo Ning hiding in the grass, dusty and windblown.

"I'll help you," she whispered as she walked over to Luo Jinxiu and took the axe from his hand.

Luo Jinxiu was not used to having a sister, so she just smiled awkwardly and thanked her.

Luo Ning seemed unperturbed by her sister's attitude and just smiled at the thanks and patted her chest. "I can use spiritual energy. Don't worry, it's hot today and no one will see you."

With that, she excitedly raised her hand, and under the control of her spiritual power, the axe flew into the air and hit the tree trunk that Luo Jinxiu had been hacking at for a long time with a loud crack, crashing to the ground.

Luo Jinxiu took a few steps back to avoid the scattered dust and leaves, and looked at Luo Ning in surprise. She had been gone for several tens of days, never imagining that her seemingly useless sister had considerable strength.

"I was away for several days, and when I returned, I heard about Sister's situation from our parents. If I hadn't gone out to gain experience, I would have been able to protect you," Luo Ning said, her emotions sinking even lower as she spoke. Luo Jinxiu turned around and saw her controlling the axe while shedding tears.

She seemed more like a girl at heart, shedding tears freely once she started, her tears falling like broken beads, but her hands did not stop, and soon she had felled a swath of trees.

Seeing her crying, Luo Jinxiu felt a strange pain in her heart, not knowing what to do. She scratched her head and finally forced out a line, "I'm fine, don't cry.

Luo Ning turned around with a smile and wiped away her tears a few times. "Don't worry, sister. Now that you have entered Regretless Gate, our Luo family has two Regretless Gate disciples. With me protecting you, no one will dare to bully you in the future!"

Upon hearing these words, Luo Jinxiu's eyes softened. In just half a day, this was the second person to offer her protection.

Even though she didn't need it, her heart felt warm.

Suddenly, she thought of the female demon again, her heart stirring, then she felt a bit desolate. Maybe the words "I will protect you" were just a joke to her, because someone like her might not have taken it to heart.

Meanwhile, a woman dressed in red stood on a lonely cliff a few meters away. She carried a scarlet sword on her back, its color even deeper than her clothing, giving her a graceful yet fierce appearance. From a distance, she had delicate features and a charming allure, her black hair flowing in the wind as she stood tall and seemingly ethereal.

Unwavering, she gazed into the distance, watching the occasional bird take flight with a calm expression.

"Hey, you've been busy for as long as it takes to burn an incense stick. Are you watching the blonde child?" The sword spirit sat on Qu Weiying's shoulder and sounded bored. "Just chopping a tree, you won't get tired. What's there to worry about?"